Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Birthday Weekend Part Two: Stuffed Chicken Breasts

When I was a kid, my mom would let us pick whatever we wanted for our birthday dinners and she would then make it for us.  I loved that tradition and want to keep it going even though I don't have kids of my own!  So, Saturday night I let Chris make his birthday dinner request.  Even though I'm sure he'd much rather have had Chicken Fried Steak, he requested a meal I had made the very first time I cooked dinner for him.  Goat Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts.  I have tried to duplicate that recipe at least two other times and have never quite got it.  This time was still not a perfect match, but it was the closet I have come so far.  What I think you will like the most about this recipe is the fact that once you get the basic skill down of slicing into the chicken, you can pretty much stuff them with a plethora of different ingredients.  For instance, I used goat cheese but you can easily substitute cream cheese instead.  Don't really care for spinach?  Try using fresh basil.  Don't like the dried cranberry idea, leave them out!  You are the cook, the magic lies in your hands!

P.s...check back later today for a special post...my third and final installment of the birthday weekend feast...you won't want to miss it :)

Goat Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons dried cranberries, finely diced
3-4 oz goat cheese
4 leaves baby spinach, chopped
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix the cranberries and goat cheese until well blended.  Gently stir in the spinach.  Set aside.  

In a shallow pan or plate, mix together the flour, salt, and pepper.

Using a small sharp knife and working with 1 chicken breast at a time, cut 2-inch-long slit horizontally into 1 side of chicken breast. Move knife back and forth in slit to form pocket.  Stuff each breast with 1/4 of the cheese mixture.  Press edges to seal.  Dust chicken in flour mixture, knock off excess flour, and set on a separate plate.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Prepare a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Sear the chicken breasts until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side.  Transfer the chicken to the baking dish.  Bake 16-20 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts.  Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum!! Such a flavorful combo, I bet it was every bit as delicious as it looks :)

christine said...

Hello Jenn! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a lovely blog and awesome Goat Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe. Reminds me of mom's recipe and it was superb, I bet yours is excellent too! By the way you can place more Foodista widget in your past and future blogs so that other Foodista readers can follow and see your blog too. Just search for a related recipe or food in Foodista and use its widget and place it at the end of your blog. I hope to read more from you. Cheers!