Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Chicken in Satay Sauce

Do you remember when I raved about the Thai Style Honey Peanut Chicken that I politely borrowed from Mary at One Perfect Bite?  Well, folks.. I have found a very close competitor.  Enter Anna of At Anna's Kitchen Table and her Chicken in Satay Sauce.  This chicken had a lovely peanut butter flavor without feeling as if we were spooning peanut butter directly into our mouths - which, I'm sorry to say, so many satay sauces can be like.  I even decided to change things up a bit by adding sugar snap peas - I always forget how much I enjoy having them in stir frys - but you know you can add whatever veggies you want.  Remember, it's your canvas to paint on!

This is yet another simple and delicious stir fry for those busy week nights!

Chicken in Satay Sauce
Adapted from At Anna's Kitchen Table
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter (if you want yours a little more peanut buttery add another tablespoon)
2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 Tablespoon chili paste
1 Tablespoons lime juice
5 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 pound chicken, cut into bite size chunks (you can you breasts or thighs are both, I used breasts)
2 cups sugar snap peas (or snow peas)

Directions:
In a bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, peanut butter, sweet chili sauce, chili paste, lime juice, coconut milk, and crushed red peppers until well combined; set aside.

In a wok or deep, non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, add the oil.  Once the oil is hot, add the diced chicken.  Stir fry for until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the sugar snap peas and stir fry for two minutes.  Add the sauce and bring to a boil, stirring to combine everything.  Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has thickened just a little, about 1-2 minutes.  Serve over rice.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Parmesan Chicken

11 comments:

Mary said...

This looks delicious, Jenn.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum! I have some sweet chili sauce in the fridge this would be a perfect use up for it! The sauce sounds really good and different than the satay sauces I've had in the past. Bookmarking!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Yum, yum and more yum. I love Iron Cheffing two recipes against one another. It's where I get my kicks.

Big Dude said...

I say I like Asian flavors and I go out and eat it, but it must not be high on my list as you have it more in a couple of weeks than I do in a year.

Care's Kitchen said...

I have everything but the greens! Sounds awesome!

Unknown said...

Looks utterly delicious Jenn. I love satay sauce.

Pam said...

Mmmm. The sauce sounds fantastic. I love sugar snap peas too.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Jenn, it looks fantastic!!
How lovely that my blog inspired you.
Thank you.

Bo said...

Looks great...I love sugar snap peas in my stir-fries too.

Chris said...

I like satay on pork and chicken, but I like the ones that are heavier in peanut flavor. This looks excellent Jenn.

Candace said...

I'm catching up on what I've been missing over here. This looks delicious! We have a mild Asian food addiction so I cannot wait to try your recipes. Thanks!