Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thai Cashew Nut Shrimp

I wish I could say this dish was all my idea.... oh how I wish I could say that... but I cannot.  No, this idea came straight from my favorite grilling master - Chris at Nibble Me This.  Chris made this awesome stir fry with pork, but since I had shrimp on hand instead of pork, I thought.. why not??

I wish I could say that I made this stir fry on my grill like Chris did... but once again, I cannot. Does it really matter though?  If it does, well... sorry, go check out Chris' version.  If it doesn't... please stay!

If you stay, you will be enticed by an array of flavors that will make you want to try this with not only shrimp and pork, but chicken, beef, AND tofu :)  Seriously, it's just that good.

Thai Cashew Nut Shrimp
Adapted from Chris at Nibble Me This
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
48 large frozen shrimp, thawed and tails removed
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 loosely packed cup of fresh basil leaves, stems removed and cut into half
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon fish sauce
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
2 Tablespoon cold water
1 Tablespoon corn starch
1/4 cup unsalted roasted cashew halves and pieces

Directions:
Place the shrimp in a deep bowl/dish.  Add the sesame oil and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.  Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat all the shrimp.  Cover and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, add the soy sauce, fish sauce, chicken stock, sugar, and 1 tablespoon of water.  Stir to combine.  In another measuring cup, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and the corn starch.  Stir to combine.

In a wok or a deep non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, add the remaining vegetable oil.  Once oil is hot, add the shallot and quickly stir fry 1 minute.  Add the bell pepper and serrano pepper; stir fry for 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.  Add the shrimp and quickly stir fry for 2-3 minutes.  Add the sauce mixture and the corn starch slurry, stirring to coat everything.  Bring to a boil and allow the sauce to thicken.  Immediately remove from heat and stir in the cashews and basil.  Serve over rice and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Ranch Chicken

7 comments:

StephenC said...

This is a beautiful thing. Must get some shrimp when I shop later today.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

The colors are visually stunning in this one. Love it! So many shrimp recipes, so little time to make them all :) Another tasty dish Jenn!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Oh, yum Jenn.
Yet again lol.

Pam said...

Chris has the best recipes! Your shrimp look fantastic.

Cranberry Morning said...

I know this really isn't cool, but can I make this with pasta and leave out the shrimp? or maybe I'll just go with the pork. It IS a beautiful thing, as StephenC said!!

Unknown said...

Oh Yum Jenn. I love shrimps so this is just beautiful, and I love cashew nuts in stir fries. No complaints :)

Chris said...

That is a great adaption, I love the idea of using shrimp. I feel proud to have you make this!