Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Grilled Chipotle BBQ Shrimp

On my last Fire Day Friday post, I made a comment about having a love affair with chipotles.  I'm ready to admit it here and now to all of you too.  It's a statement that I can no longer deny.

I LOVE chipotle!!!

With that said... you gotta try this barbecue shrimp.. it's scrumptious!  Although, Chris and I did not have a problem with the spiciness of this dish, you might want to be aware in case you can't handle a lot of heat.  This not only uses chipotles, but red pepper flakes AND cayenne pepper.  You can easily leave those two things out, though, to cut back on the kick this shrimp will have.

The original recipe for this was for bacon wrapped shrimp with chipotle bbq sauce, but it was late and I had just gotten home from an 11 hour day at work and I just wanted something that would be a little quicker to throw together.  Yes, that's right, I said I skipped the bacon, but I must admit, sometimes convenience even beats out bacon.  Not often, but it happens :)  Either way you make it, you will not be disappointed, I promise!

(By the way, the rice truly is green.. it's been mixed with a little guacamole.  It's a very simple way to jazz up plain rice.)

Grilled Chipotle BBQ Shrimp
Adapted from Guy Fieri
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 lb large or extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (homemade or store bought)
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tablespoons chipotle puree
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
wooden or metal skewers (if using wooden, make sure you soak them for at least 30 minutes)

Directions:
Mix together all the ingredients except the shrimp.  Remove 3 Tablespoons of the sauce and set aside.  Place the shrimp in a shallow dish or resealable bag and pour the remaining bbq sauce over the shrimp.  Allow to marinate for 4 hours.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees F.  Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread onto skewers.  Place directly over the fire and allow to grill for 3-5 minutes per side, or until the shrimp is pink and heated through.  Remove from grill and serve with reserved sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Chicken Cordon Bleu....On the Grill!

8 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Spicy smoky chipoltes are hard to resist! I've got to get more of them so I can make this. It sounds really delightful, shrimp and chipolte would be GOOD together! I love the bbq sauce in it too, it sounds irresistible!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

This is exactly what I've been craving lately. OOOOOHHHH man oh man that looks good!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mary said...

Oh boy, my husband would LOVE that green rice. I've never thought to mix it up with some guacamole. Cool idea!

Pam said...

Jenn, this looks and sounds pretty delicious! I love chipotle too so I know this has to be great with the shrimp.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Me too Jenn! And speaking of - I'm going to post a recipe this week I think you're going to LOVE!! Your shrimp looks divine. And I love that you only need to marinate it for a few hours. Win-win!

Pam said...

I need to give chipotle a try - I've never cooked with it before. How crazy is that?

Unknown said...

Scrumptious indeed, but that is a lot of heat with the chipotles, red pepper flakes and cayenne! :)

Chris said...

Good lord, I like the heat in this one. It's paired perfectly with the heat of summer and you can wash down the heat with a cold adult beverage, yum!