Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Grilled Steaks with Chipotle Butter and Feta Oregano Butter

As I walked through the grocery store with no idea of what I was going to make for dinner, I scanned the meat counter/aisle - walked away - went back - walked away - went back and finally decided on some steak.  By the time I arrived back home, I realized that I had not one good idea on what to do with said steaks.  I paced around the kitchen, I looked through recipes I have been wanting to make, I looked in the fridge and the pantry.... FINALLY, I decided on a simple grilled steak with a little compound butter as a compliment.

I decided to throw together two different types of butters.  I just couldn't decided on which I thought would be the best, so why limit ourselves, right?  The feta oregano butter ended up being my favorite.  Salty and tangy - it complimented the sweet vinegary flavor of the steak.  Don't get me wrong, the chipotle butter was fantastic too.  If I was every FORCED to say which was my favorite, the feta would be the one :)  Good thing I'm not being forced though!!

Grilled Steaks with Chipotle Butter and Feta Oregano Butter
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 lb steak - whatever cut you choose (we had sirloins)
For the chipotle butter -
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 Tablespoon chipotle puree
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
For the feta oregano butter -
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 Tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Directions:
Mix together the vinegar and olive oil.  Place the steaks in a shallow dish or resealable bag.  Pour the marinade over it and let rest in the fridge for 2-4 hours.


Meanwhile, in separate bowls, mix together the ingredients for the compound butters.  Cover and place in refrigerator until about 30 minutes before you are ready to use.

Preheat grill to 375-400 degrees F.  Remove the steaks from the marinade and place directly over the fire.  Grill about 5-10 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Top with one dollop of each butter and allow to melt a bit!  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Whole Grain Penne with Creamy Sausage Alfredo

9 comments:

Bo said...

I think the feta oregano butter would be my favorite too.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Feta compound butter? Holy cow get me a spoon and a bowl of that STAT :) Both sound good, don't get me wrong, but there's a soft spot in my heart for feta :) The steaks look wonderful Jenn!

StephenC said...

From the look of the photo you did this perfectly. I cooked a much thinner rib eye using Chris' technique last night. It was tricky because it was barely 1 inch thick. However I managed it by watching my thermometer very very carefully. It wasn't more than 3/4 lb because it had a bone, but it was enough for us little chickens.

Pam said...

Two kinds of tasty butter + a perfectly cooked steak = HEAVEN!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Dear lord that steak looks cooked PERFECTLY!!! And for the record, the butter would never make it to the plate. I'd eat it all first.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Vicki Bensinger said...

I'm so glad I bumped into your blog today. I just pulled some steaks out of the freezer for dinner this evening and I have chipotle peppers in adobe sauce that I needed to use and butter. I think I'll try this.

Thanks for the idea. It looks delish!

Care's Kitchen said...

Love it, love it, love it! I want to try these butters!

Unknown said...

The feta butter does sound delicious. Love the saltiness of feta... and you cooked the steak perfectly!

Chris said...

I'm glad to see I'm NOT the only one to do the "cha cha dance" on the meat aisle trying to figure out dinner plans. The compound butters are one of my favorite tricks.