Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry

 
I mentioned last week that I've been working pretty long hours, so by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do is sit in front of my computer.  Some nights I get home so late, I don't even want to cook dinner.  And the night I made this, was one of those nights.  I was trying to get my post for that day written and was having a major mental/creative block, but once the words started flowing, it was hard to stop them, so it was very late when I looked up and thought about making dinner.  Not wanting to put any thought or effort into dinner, I decided to scratch what I had planned and to just throw together something fast and fairly light.  When I think of fast and light, I always go right to stir fries.  This stir fry has all the usual ingredients I have on hand, so feel free to change it up a bit if you prefer different flavors/ingredients.  This is one of those canvas recipes I always talk about :)

Hoisin Chicken Stir Fry
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), cut into bite size pieces
1 small zucchini, slice thin
1 red pepper, stem and seeds removed, thinly sliced
2 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup hoisin
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sriracha (you can use less if you want it to be less spicy)
2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin, rice vinegar, sriracha, soy and sesame oil; set aside.

In a wok or a deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat.  When the wok/skillet is hot, add the chicken and stir fry for 5 minutes.  Add the red pepper and continue to stir fry for 3-4 minutes.  Add the zucchini and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Add the sauce mixture and stir to coat everything.  Once the sauce starts to boil and thicken, remove from the heat and toss, again, to coat.  Serve over rice.  Enjoy! 

One Year Ago:  Pass it On Week 4:  Chicken Pesto Pizza

12 comments:

Big Dude said...

Looks really good Jenn - I think we're about ready for a stir fry. Pretty fancy for a I'm-too-tired-to-cook meal, it would have been a bologna sandwich here or a reheated leftover.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, it's got everything: enticing color, nutritious lean protein and vegetables, and it's easy to make! A perfect choice ... and it looks so, so good!

StephenC said...

I'm always happy to see someone using zucchini. Not a favorite of Peter's, it is something I've eaten all my life.

Angie's Recipes said...

Love hoisin sauce...it's great with noodles too.

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks fantastic! I love all that color, which always makes a meal SO much more appealing to me.

Pam said...

A quick and simple recipe that looks fantastic!

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Oh boy, do we have too many of those nights to even count. What a great idea to still get a nice home cooked (and healthy) meal in. It's nice to have these recipes to keep me from dialing up the pizza delivery man!

hope work slows down for you soon.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Your post reminds me that I NEED to go grocery shopping!! Most of those things are usually stocked in my pantry, alas today if I were to make a stir fry it'd be rice & celery & soy sauce. On and sriracha LOL. Yours looks really delicious, velveting or not LOL (sorry you KNOW I had to throw that in there!) Awesome flavors and colors Jenn!

Unknown said...

I love hoisin sauce and this is a great, quick-cook and delicious dinner. Hope all is well with everything at work :)

Unknown said...

wish I could whip this up@ Sometimes I am also strapped for time, I always resort to scarambled eggs & toast.

Unknown said...

well you're doing a great job still getting your blog posts done among everything else! This I know is delicious!

Chris said...

Long work hours are like vacuums. But this stir fry kicks arse. I've made a good stir fry twice this week, sweet except for the hint of sriracha.