Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Penne with Tuna and Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Sauce

FRIDAY!!!  YAY!!!  I MADE IT!!!  WOOHOO!!!  It was touch and go for awhile there, but I made it...whew!!

It's been a long week here...and next week looks to be even longer...BUT...I have managed to keep up with most things, including cooking and blogging...the two things I thought for sure would suffer.  Ok, let's be honest, my cooking has suffered, I mean who wants to start cooking dinner when you walk in the door at 8pm, right?  But, all in all, things haven't been TOO overwhelming............    yet :)

This pasta dish was fantastic.  Simple and delicious.  I do love pasta though... I could eat it every night, but Chris and my fear of a bigger butt keep me from actually do it.  I do make sure we have it at least once a week.  I can't help myself...it's the Italian in me!  To make this a very quick week night meal, you can forget the roasting and pick up some jarred roasted red peppers and saute the garlic for about 1 minute in olive oil...but that's only if you don't have the time to roast everything....fresh roasted veggies are always so much better!

Penne with Tuna and Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Sauce
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
10-12 oz whole grain penne pasta
1 can albacore tuna
2 red peppers
5 cloves garlic (skin on)
2 Tablespoons plain yogurt
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons jalapeno hot sauce (optional)
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat grill (400-425 degrees) or oven (425-450 degrees).  Place the garlic cloves in a square of foil, drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Fold over the edges to enclose the garlic.  Place the foil packet and 1 red pepper on the grill.  Allow the garlic to roast on the top shelf for about 20-30 minutes or until it has softened.  Grill the pepper, turning occasionally, until charred and blackened.  If you are baking, roast the garlic for 40 minutes or until softened.  Turn the broiler on and char all sides of the pepper.  Place the pepper in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and allow to cool.  Once garlic and pepper are cool enough to handle.  Squeeze the garlic from it's skin into a food processor.  Peel back the blackened skin of the pepper, remove the stem and seeds, and place in the food processor.  Add the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, and hot sauce.  Pulse until smooth.

Meanwhile, remove the stem and seeds of the remaining red pepper and roughly chop.  Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain well.  Add the tuna and sauce to the pasta.  Toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the basil just before serving.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Hudson's Baked (or Grilled) Fish with Dill Sauce

15 comments:

StephenC said...

We're with you. Pasta at least once a week. It's only 8 am but your photos have my mouth watering.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

A grown up version of tuna noodle casserole, love it!! I like how you've used yogurt instead of mayo - tangy and a little spicy, it sounds really delicious!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that looks amazingly good! Quick, simple, delicious ... a perfect weeknight treat after a long day ... :)

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Oh goodness this looks delicious. I don't have a dinner plan tonight and this might be it. Have a great weekend - it was a very long week. :)

Unknown said...

This is such a favourite of mine. I love tuna and pasta. Lovely recipe. Have a great weekend. X

Cranberry Morning said...

That looks VERY VERY yummy, and I would make it with GF Tinkyada penne pasta. Could you please deliver a nice warm bowl if it by 10 AM?

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love a great pasta meal. Simple, inexpensive and tasty! Thanks!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds really wonderful. I have a soft spot for red pepper sauce and your version sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Abigail Rogers said...

Interested in Great Britain? Check out my Britophile blog at www.picturebritain.com!

Unknown said...

Love pasta. You're probably sick of me saying that. hehe. This looks wonderful Jenn. Enjoy your weekend!

Victor said...

I love quick and simple pasta dish. I never tried red pepper sauce, it is a pretty good alternative to tomato sauce.

Big Dude said...

I'm not Italian, but grew up in a town with a large Italian population and it's still my favorite food - I could eat pasta several times a week as well and this dish looks like one I'd really like.

Rivki Locker said...

Pasta and tuna is such a classic combo - even my kids like it. Thanks for this recipe. Looks wonderful.

Unknown said...

This looks over the top delicious!I actually have a frozen piece of ahi tuna in my freezer that I might use in a dish like this. Love the ingredients!

Chris said...

Funny, I think your posts have been just as good as they always are. Even if you DID use fish in two dishes, ha ha.