Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sweet and Sour Grilled Chicken

I do love a good bowl/plate of sweet and sour chicken.  When I was going to college, there was a fast food Chinese restaurant that I would visit (frequently) called, The Egg Roll King.  The one dish I would order over and over and over was there sweet and sour chicken.  The reason I loved it so much at the time was because all it included was battered, deep fried chunks of chicken with a sweet and sour sauce.  No veggies, just deep fried chunks of goodness.  I tend to over look it nowadays when I'm at a Chinese restaurant - once I branched out and tried new things, I swore I'd never go back to it - but sometimes, you need to set aside silly little statements like that and just do it!  And I'm glad I did, this was DE-LIC-OUS! And, if you wanted to use the marinade as a sauce for a stir fry, well, by all means... just do it!! (actually, that was what the original recipe was for...hehe)

Sweet and Sour Grilled Chicken
Adapted from the Food Network Kitchens
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (such as Sambal Oelek)
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 lb chicken (I used boneless, skinless breasts)

Directions:
In a saucepan, add all ingredients except the chicken.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  Stir until sauce has thickened, this should take only a few minutes.  Once sauce has thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool.

Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.  Place the chicken in a shallow dish or resealable bag.  Reserve 2 tablespoons of the sauce.  Pour the remaining cooled sauce over the chicken and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees and oil the grill grates.  Remove the chicken and discard the marinade.  Place chicken directly on the grill grates and allow to cook for 7-10 minutes per side or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.  Remove from grill and allow to sit for 3 minutes before slicing into.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Hoisin Barbecued Chicken + 100th Post = Giveaway!!!
 

10 comments:

Big Dude said...

I used to always order S&S in Chinese restaurants but like you rarely do now. I've always wanted to try it at home, so I appreciate the sauce recipe. Your's looks very good.

StephenC said...

These flavors sound really good to me.

Unknown said...

Honey...ginger...sweet....sour...what's not to love! Great grill marks too!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sweet & sour at home is so much better than the restaurants anymore, to me. Oh sure deep fried chunks of goodness are delicious, but this looks like it'd taste even better! Love how the S&S sauce helps the grill marks really develop, so tasty!

Cranberry Morning said...

I love it, Jenn, that you give me such tasty things to eat without the headache. Another fantastic recipe, and I do love sweet and sour! Now if it would just stop raining!

Pam said...

It looks DE-LIC-IOUS!

Unknown said...

I also like a bowl of sweet and sour chicken (the battered, not healthy version) every now and then. Your grilled version looks much better though and no doubt tastier too. I like the little heat from the sambal oelek too.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Oh my, this is sooooo much better than restaurant sweet and sour chicken AND so much better for you!

Unknown said...

I could skip dessert and have 2 servings of this happily!! ♥- Katrina

Chris said...

I'm going to try this tomorrow. What a great way to wake up boring chicken breasts!