Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Apple Butter Glazed Chicken

I think I may have told you before, but I'm not absolutely sure, so I will tell you again - I adore apple butter.  When I was a kid, my mom would make her own and jar it.  There was always apple butter in the fridge and my favorite thing to do with it was put it on toast.  I even remember the day my mom handed me the very last jar of it.  I was in college at the time and remember thinking how lucky I was to have the last of it.  Then, in a short period of time, it was gone.  A sad day, of course, and wouldn't you know, I couldn't find a commercially sold apple butter that could compare to my mom's.

Flash forward quite a few years to present time - Chris and I are at this small farmer's market and there, we just happen upon a booth with a gentleman selling ..... yep, you guessed it.... apple butter!!  And not only was he selling apple butter, but, after properly taste testing it, he was selling an apple butter that could actually compare to mom's!!! (I said compare, not out do!!)  Of course, I did the only thing I could do: I purchased a jar!!

Although I still love it on toast, I thought that I would try and incorporate it into some of my cooking too.   What better way to use it then on wonderfully grilled chicken!  This is a simple glaze that might sound a little odd, but trust me, it's tangy and sweet and delightful to the palate.  A must try in my book!

Apple Butter Glazed Chicken
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons apple butter
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
garlic salt
pepper

Directions:
Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towel and season with garlic salt and pepper on both sides.  In a small bowl, mix together the apple butter, mustard and soy sauce until well combined.  Evenly spread mixture over both sides of each piece of chicken.  Place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least one hour (recommend 4).

Preheat grill to 375 degrees.  Oil the grill grates.  Place the chicken directly over the fire and grill 7-10 minutes per side (depending on thickness) or until the chicken registers 165 degrees F.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 3 minutes.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Garlic Cheese Bread

14 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Hi Jenn, looks lovely.
Is apple butter different to apple sauce?

Debbie said...

Oh yum....my husband would go crazy over this. He loves apple butter also. In fact, we go to a local country fair every year where they make their own apple butter right in front of you!!!! They sell it in jars afterwards!

StephenC said...

I can't remember the last time I even thought about apple butter. But I love it too. You've got me thinking again.

Unknown said...

Anna - yes, apple butter is different then apple sauce. It's thicker, more like a jam. Hope that helps!

Ott, A. said...

I have a similar recipe I use on lamb chops. I can so much applebutter I have to get creative with ways to use it. So this I will have to try sometime.

SnoWhite said...

This like a delicious way to have chicken -- as we're breaking out the grill more, I might have to try our apple butter in this way :)

Yenta Mary said...

There is very little in life as sublime as apple butter! And how perfect is this combination with the chicken??? Brava!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Great use of the apple butter! I love fruit with proteins so this is right up my alley. I can imagine how yummy this is, apple butter is delish stuff!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds terrific. I make small amounts of apple butter every year and have used it with pork and to make French apple tarts, but I've never thought to use it with chicken. This is a must try! Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

I love apple butter too, and I can tell this works. I can taste it already. A must try.

Pam said...

I just happen to have apple butter in my refrigerator right now. Mmmmm.

The pasta down below looks KILLER!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Don't tell anyone, but....

I've never had apple butter!

Clearly I'm going to have to try it.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

Oh yum. I bet it'll be delicious with pork chops too.

Melanie said...

I second the Pork Chops idea, or even pork loin. I make Apple Brandy Butter each year for Christmas and always have a little left over that won't quite fit in the jars so it's ours for Right Now. I'll be giving this recipe a shot, then will try with pork. Bravo!