Search This Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Greek Penne

It's funny to me how life works sometimes.  Take this recipe for instance.  I found this recipe (or one similar to it) about 8 or 9 years ago.  I made it a few times and it was a hit no matter who was eating with me.  Then one day, I just didn't make it again.  I think the recipe I first found got lost or something, but whatever the case, I just didn't make it again.  Fast forward 8 or 9 years to present time.  I'm skimming through recipes on the internet and you would never guess what recipe I came across - yep, the same recipe - Greek Ziti.  I new I was going to have to work this into my menu list and soon.  I remembered how much I loved it.  The creaminess of the melting feta cheese, the wonderful flavor of the oregano, and of course it's ease of putting it together.  The only problem I thought I might have, would be Chris.  I wasn't exactly sure if he liked feta cheese or not.  I did worry if I asked him that he might tell me no but only because he's only eaten it a certain way.  I wanted to make sure he gave this a fair shot.  So, I didn't tell him what kind of cheese it was until he finally asked me when we sat down to eat.  He took a bite, I blurted out "Feta".  That was it.. and guess what?  He loved it!!!  Another successful meal... YAY!!

The only real thing I would do differently next time I make it would be to add some kalamata olives.  That would have just made it that much more "Greek-ish" for me.  But that's it.. I'd change nothing else.  If you like Greek flavors, you will definitely dig this pasta!

Greek Penne
Adapted from Cooking.com
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 cup chicken broth or homemade stock
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
13.5 oz box whole wheat penne pasta
4 oz crumbled feta cheese
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered

Directions:
In a large skillet, simmer the chicken broth and the oregano until 1/2 cup of liquid remains, about 4-5 minutes.  Stir in the chicken cubes, cover the pan and remove it from the heat.  Let the chicken steam in the hot broth until just done, about 8-10 minutes.

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and toss with the chicken mixture.  Add the feta, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and parsley.  Stir until the cheese has melted.  Toss in the cherry tomatoes.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago: Penne alla Vodka

****I've been informed by a few people that my comment section is not working all the time, so I apologize if you are trying to comment and blogger will not allow it.  There seems to be a glitch in the system, hopefully it will be fixed soon!!  As always, thanks for visiting!****

12 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that looks so amazing!!! I almost bought feta at the store yesterday, but bought blue cheese instead ... shaking my head in dismay. Guess who's going back to the store for feta???

StephenC said...

At first glance I thought it said "Geek" penne. My bad. You're site is not the only one with balky comments. Give Chris a handshake for me for liking feta cheese.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Oh yeah, greek pasta! LOVE feta!!! LOVE it I say! Awesome that Chris liked it - I know how frustrating it is to have a dish you love and the people you cook for turn their noses up at it. Ok so I don't know how that is too much cause my hubby and daughter will eat pretty much anything LOL :) Shoot next thing you know you'll be putting feta on orzo & Chris will like it. Ok a girl can dream, right? LOL :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I'm really beginning to wonder how I ever knew what to make for dinner before my blogging buddies came along! Last night I made Mary's rhubarb/curry chicken and tonight it's going to be this Greek Penne Pasta! And trust me, I would not forget the kalamata olives. :-) Thanks, Jenn.

Katie said...

I love feta. It's getting a bit ridiculous how much I eat it!

Design Wine and Dine said...

good idea to add olives next time! Feta is one of my favorite cheeses, it goes with so many things! Looks delish!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love this type of pasta for the spring and summer months. It is filling without being heavy and the flavors are marvelous. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Anna's kitchen table said...

I LOVE Greek flavours!! But then maybe I'm a bit biased LOL
Your penne looks so good, I'd definitely add the olives too.

Unknown said...

I love the saltiness of feta cheese and you know what I feel about pasta... I would definitely add lots of olives.

Pam said...

You KNOW I would love this dish. Adding the kalamata next time is a great idea... they give such a great tangy flavor to Greek dishes.

Chris said...

I like it! I like creamy pasta so in addition to the olives you want to add, I might stir in some Greek yogurt at the end. YUM!

international online pharmacy said...

Delicious recipe! My aunt loves to cook things like this so I'll send her this link. Keep up the good work and also keep posting.