Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Pasta

I know a poor soul who cannot eat bacon.  I know, I know, I feel for her too.  So I made a promise to myself... I said that since she can't eat it, I must do my duty to eat more of it.  I mean, there has to be a balance, right?? :)  And for me, what better way to enjoy bacon then with pasta??!!

This dish is very similar to the bacon and tomato pasta I've posted, which is of course, one of our favorites!  I think this one ties it for first place.  And how could either one of them not be a favorite?  Didn't I mention it has bacon??  You see where I'm going with this right?

I LOVE BACON!!!

Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Pasta
Adapted from Cuisine at Home
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
4 strips bacon, diced
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup chicken broth, divided
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
8 oz dried spaghetti
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
6 basil leaves, chopped

Directions:
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined place.  Pour off all but 1 tablespoons of the drippings.  Add the sliced onion and sugar to the skillet and turn the heat down to medium low.  Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until they are caramelized, about 25-40 minutes.  Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, increasing the heat; simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated.  Add the remaining broth, vinegar, and pepper flakes.  Simmer until the liquid is reduced by a third, about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and simmer another 5 minutes.

Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.

Add the spinach and cooked bacon to the tomato mixture.  Add the pasta and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper and top with chopped basil.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Honey & Hoisin Grilled Trout with Orzo Pasta, Zucchini, and Peppers

11 comments:

StephenC said...

Let me know if you need any help making up for people who can't or won't eat bacon.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

its incredibly generous of you to eat her share of bacon Jenn. I'm with Stephen, if you need help let me know! The pasta looks great, I love BLT style pastas, so good, so summery, so satisfying! Fab colors, too!

Cranberry Morning said...

This is a whole new definition for BLT. I'm thinking this may become one of our staple meals. Looks delicious and beautiful. (Beautiful in food counts for a lot!) :-)

Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ said...

I like this, andother great way to enjoy BLT.

Cheeseboy said...

Can't eat bacon?! Something is not right with that. Something is deeply wrong.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This actually is a great idea and I'm moved by your spirit of generosity and outreach to friends in need :-). You are something else, girl. Have a wonderful afternoon and thanks for the big smile you've put on my face. Blessings...Maryve

Anonymous said...

I met someone the other day who couldn't eat bacon and felt sorry for them as well, but I should also consider eating their share. We've recently been grilling and enjoying romaine lettuce and think it would work well here as well.

Unknown said...

I would also eat bacon for anyone who could not..unfortunately we are all lovers in this house! Looks gread

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Bacon makes everything nummy. This looks like a great pasta for summer.

Unknown said...

In honour of your friend, I'll eat more bacon then. You've got to do, what you've got to do, right? Love this pasta dish. Give me bacon and pasta and I am all set.

Chris said...

Is it horrible that I contemplated taking the leftovers of this, frying it and putting it on toasted bread for a fried BLTpasta sandwich? Because that sounds so over the top good.

Got any leftovers? I can swing by and pick them up.