Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

Chinese Barbecued Pork

When I first moved to Arizona, a group of friends and I would go to this Asian noodle place every other Sunday.  One of my favorite things to order was the Barbecued Pork.  It was a simple dish...consisting of only the barbecued pork and rice.  But this pork was no ordinary pork.  No, not even close.  It was tender, it was chewy, it was sweet, it was sticky, it was AMAZING!  When I happened to stumble across this recipe from America's Test Kitchen, I knew I had to try it.  I have not always had the best of luck with ATK recipes in the past, but lately, they have really been spot on.  This one was no different.  This was the perfect recreation of the dish I so fondly remember.  It was tender, it was sweet, it was sticky, it was AMAZING!  So even if you have never experienced barbecued pork from an Asian restaurant like I have, I believe you will still completely fall in love with this recipe.  This was one of those dinners where no words were spoken as the food was just so good, nothing really needed to be said :)

Chinese Barbecued Pork
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen Best-Ever Recipes Collection
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless pork shoulder roast cut into strips and excess fat removed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 Tablespoons Hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 garlic clover, finely minced
2 Tablespoons ketchup
3 Tablespoons honey

Directions:
Prick the pork with a fork about 10 to 12 times on each side.  Place the pork in a large zipper lock bag.  Combine the sugar, soy, hoisin, rice vinegar, pepper, five-spice, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in a medium bowl.  Measure out 1/4 cup of the marinade and set aside.  Pour the remaining marinade into the bag with the pork.  Press out as much air as possible; seal the bag.  Refrigerate for at 30 minutes or up to 4 hours (recommend 4 or more for best results).

Meanwhile, combine the ketchup and hone with the reserved marinade in a small saucepan.  Cook the glaze over medium heat until thickened, about 4 to 6 minutes.

Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 300 degrees.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack in the pan; spray the foil and the rack with nonstick cooking spray.

Remove the pork from the marinade, letting any excess drip off, and place it on the wire rack.  Pour 1/4 cup water into the bottom of the pan.  Cover the pan with heavy-duty foil, crimping the edges tightly to seal.  Cook the pork for 20 minutes.  Remove the foil and continue to cook until the edges of the pork begin to brown, 40 to 45 minutes.

Turn on the broiler.  Broil the pork until evenly caramelized, 7 to 9 minutes.  Remove the pan from the oven and brush the pork with half of the glaze; broil until deep mahogany color, 3 to 5 minutes.  Flip the meat and broil until the other side caramelizes, 7 to 9 minutes.  Brush the meat with the remaining glaze and continue to broil until the second side is deep mahogany, 3 to 5 minutes.  Cool for at least 8 minutes then cut into thin strips and serve.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Vanilla Ice Cream

14 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

O ... M ... G!!! I'm sitting here at work (in a synagogue!) practically drooling over this forbidden food ... :)

Cooking Gallery said...

I love Chinese BBQ pork too...! I usually eat it with noodles or wrapped in a bun.

StephenC said...

Wow, blogger is back!. You're back. And with a killer recipe.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh my god!!! I must make this immediately. One of my favorite things on earth. Thanks a million!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Katie said...

I love BBQ, so I'm sure I'd love the Chinese stye, too! The pictures sure look great!

Martha said...

This looks fantastic Jenn! I'm definitely putting this on the menu for this week - Yum!

Unknown said...

Love the glaze on this pork! Looks like it's from one of those noddle shops you used to visit! YUM!

Pam said...

I've never made Chinese bbq ribs... I am sure we would love them.

Unknown said...

Jenn, this looks fiercely delicious. I will have to try this with ribs as I love those barbecued ribs from Asian restaurants.

Big Dude said...

Looks super good Jenn and I've been looking for an Asian recipe to try with smoked ribs and I'm thinking this might work - what do you think?

Cheeseboy said...

Yes, it seems that whenever I cook pork, it's more about the pork I buy than whatever I do to it. Sometimes it's incredible, sometimes it's downright chewy.

Anyway, this recipe sounds great. Next time I buy pork..

We Are Not Martha said...

Yumm!! If I didn't have such a huge lunch and wasn't feeling so lazy, his would be the perfect dinner for tonight :)

Sues

Angie's Recipes said...

This makes me seriously hungry!

Meg Luby said...

this looks pretty straightforward and PLENTY delicious! thanks so much for sharing! awesome as per usual :)
<3 meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com