Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Super Spicy Chili Mac

I don't know if I would call this SUPER spicy, but it definitely was spicy!  Now I say that knowing that I have a pretty high tolerance for heat.  My mouth was a tiny bit fiery by the time we were done, but not so much that I couldn't enjoy it.  So if you make this, I'm giving you the warning now...if you don't like super spicy, stay away from this recipe... well, no, that's not right....just don't add any chipotles to the dish and you'll be just fine!

This recipe reminds me a lot of one of Chris and I's favorite dishes, Hamburger Buddy.  It's made in almost the same way, but believe me, they are definitely different.  Believe me also when I say, both are worth trying.......you will not be sorry!

Super Spicy Chili Mac
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen 30-Minute Suppers
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 lbs 93% lean ground beef
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce, finely chopped - Plus 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce
2 cups elbow macaroni (I used whole grain)
2 cups beef broth
1 cup water
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook beef over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large, deep skillet with a lid, about 3 minutes.  Add the onion and cook another 3 minutes.  Add the bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 more minutes.  Stir in garlic and chipotles and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the broth, water, adobo sauce, and macaroni to the pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through, stirring occasionally.  Add the cheese and stir until melted and incorporated.  Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.  Serve with warm crusty bread and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pasta

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Total comfort food at its finest! Love that it's spicy too! YUM!!!

Big Dude said...

I love American goulash and I love chipoltes so this has to be tried.

StephenC said...

This really takes me back. My mother used to make elbow macaroni with ground beef quite often. In her case there was no spice to speak of. Next week I will drag a plan out of my 5-watt brain - and I will use spice (probably jalapenos) with seeds!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yeah its like spicy goulash!! Love the idea Jenn!! It totally dresses up the old family favorite :)

Angie's Recipes said...

That's my type of comfort food!

Bo said...

I like those chipotles in it!

Unknown said...

Yummy! Jazzed up comfort food! I love the addition of the chipotle peppers!

Pam said...

Oh man does this look delicious and comforting! Love it.

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

I haven't had these for ages. Now I'm craving for it.

http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

Anna's kitchen table said...

Looks great! I could soooo eat a bowl right now- nice and spicy too!

Unknown said...

I can only tolerate certain amount of heat, so with the chipotle in it, I believe this is one spicy dish. Looks so good though. I often forget to serve chili with pasta... yum.