Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wanna Be Polynesian Chicken Kabobs

Yes, I know... this doesn't look like a kabob recipe does it?  Well, that might explain the "wanna be" in the name.  They so very much wanted to be Polynesian Kabobs, but because of time and laziness, it turned out to be just grilled chicken and stuffed peppers.  Not that it was a bad thing... Oh, no... the flavors were all still there... it's just that, well... I don't feel like I did the original recipe much justice... (Sorry Andrea)

Doesn't really matter if you make it my way or the right way... just make it!  Bring a little summer into your winter kitchen!  And if you don't want to grill the kabobs, put them in the oven and broil them... it's the next best thing to grilling :)

Oh.. and for the stuffed peppers... all I did was cut a sweet pepper into quarters after removing the stem and seeds - mixed some cream cheese with garlic salt, pepper, and a little cayenne - spread that mixture onto the peppers - topped with shredded cheese - placed on grill until cheese was melted.

****On a sad note...for those of you that haven't heard, Steve Jobs - the co-founder, chairman, and CEO of Apple, Inc. - died yesterday at the age of 56.  Steve Jobs was one of the greatest American inovators of our time....he will be sorely missed.  RIP Steve Jobs!****  

Wanna Be Polynesian Chicken Kabobs
Adapted from Andrea the Kitchen Witch
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons pineapple juice
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the aioli -
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1-2 Tablespoons pineapple juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Pace the chicken in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag.  Mix all other ingredients together until well combined.  Pour mixture over chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.

In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the aioli until well combined.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees and oil the grill grates.  Remove the chicken from the marinade and place directly over the fire.  Grill for 5-10 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.  Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.  Serve with aioli.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Chicken Sate with Peanut Sauce

7 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Its OK, I often don't get to kebob things that are supposed to be kebobed :) Usually I forget to soak the skewers LOL!! The chicken looks great! Isn't the marinade flavorful and yum? I was just thinking about this recipe yesterday and how I needed to make it again. I'm flattered and happy that you made it & enjoyed it!! The cheesy peppers look good, too!! YUM!

StephenC said...

I think I want to skewer some sausages. Just sayin'.

Mary said...

These look great. I've seen you post something of Andrea's a few times. I'm off to check out her site now! Thanks.

Yenta Mary said...

Brilliant in their simplicity, the peppers especially sound fabulous!!! We definitely should do some tailgating together - man, that would be a good time ... :)

Pam said...

It's so sad about Steve J... what a brilliant man!

I think you did the chicken justice - it looks juicy and delicious. I also think those little peppers are screaming my name. YUM.

Pam said...

No doubt in my mind about this being delicious! Love those flavors of pineapple, red pepper, ginger and garlic with chicken. Makes me want to be at a luau!

So sad with Jobs; what an innovative man with an interesting life. He made "getting fired" a good thing!

Chris said...

You kept the spirit of the recipe, if not the letter, ha ha.

I like how you did the peppers. Often the meat and veggies on a kabob cook at different times anyway so this process makes it better.