Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

Big Red Chili

Last Saturday was one of those college football Saturday's that all underdogs dream of.  Oh, wait, I don't think we were underdogs...BUT... Nebraska did come back from a 20 point deficit to beat Ohio State 34 to 27!! WOOHOOO!!!  (GO BIG RED!!!)  It looked as if they were going to go down in flames like they did against Wisconsin the week before - but alas - they came back fighting and did not give up until they had taken victory!!

I don't know if I have ever actually mentioned what a Husker fan I truly am. Growing up in Nebraska, we did not have any professional sports but we did have the Huskers.  You lived, breathed, died Big Red football.  On football Saturday, Memorial Stadium becomes the third largest "city" in the state :)  I've been to professional football games and I can honestly say, there is nothing... let me repeat.. NOTHING that compares to being in Memorial Stadium on a college football Saturday!!!  Oh, I know people will try and argue that fact with me, but save it.. there is no denying... and .. well, this is my blog so I have final say :)

It wasn't truly "chili weather" in my book, but it felt cooler than usual and it just felt right... so chili graced our bowls and filled our bellies and the big red pulled off an awesome come back that we'll be talking about for years!!  It was a good day.

Oh... and big red also stands for the heat.. this is a spicy chili - the way Chris and I like it - so add a little spice at a time and adjust as needed :)

Big Red Chili
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and stem removed, chopped
1 pound boneless bottom round steak, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 pound ground beef
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup beer
3/4 cup beef broth
2-3 Tablespoons chili powder (add two, taste, add more if needed)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used chili garlic Cholula)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon tomato paste OR 1 teaspoon cornstarch with 1 teaspoon beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute for 8-10 minutes on medium low or until the onions are tender.  Add the jalapenos and saute another 3-4 minutes.  Add the steak and turn up the heat to medium.  Cook for 2 minutes and add the ground beef; stirring occasionally.  Cook until the steak and beef are no longer pink.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Slowly add the beer and beef broth, stirring to combine.  Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne, hot sauce and tomato sauce.  Stir until everything is well combined.  Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.  Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.  Add the tomato paste or cornstarch slurry and stir.  Cover and allow to simmer another 2-3 hours or until the steak becomes tender and the chili has thickened.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Smoked Beef Tri-Tip

8 comments:

StephenC said...

Your enthusiasm for the Huskers is really fun to experience. If Peter ever lets me back in the kitchen I will make a version of this chili.

Big Dude said...

Looks like some real southwestern chili Jenn and the flavors sound great - I've been looking for one to try. Except I'll have to add some pintos to part of it for my Southern bell who thinks chili without beans (even on a hot dog) is like gumbo without okra.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

My hubby is a Nebraska boy so I have to hear all about Big Red. Often. And it amazes me when we go to Nebraska how everyones car is either Red or White, Nebraska colors :) Talk about dedicated fans!!!!!! I'd learn to love football if this chili were served at the stadium, it sounds delicious!! But then again I'm a sucker for a good bowl of red :)

Pam said...

Congrats on the win! The chili looks comforting and so delicious - yum!

Chris said...

What a great pot of "red", Jenn. And my teams (pro and college) are all sucking wind this year so I am just rolling with the "wait 'til next year" theme :)

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

Angie's Recipes said...

Jenn, this is exactly what I want and need for lunch today! Looks so dang delicious!

Yenta Mary said...

I watched the end of that Ohio State game; and, well, being in Ann Arbor I couldn't help but root for the Huskers ... ;) This chili looks amazing, and perfect for a game!