Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

Carolina Style Barbecue Chicken

This is a recipe that I have tried before, but thanks to my not paying attention to the chicken, it got a bit charred and was not fit for photographing.  It still tasted good, that's why I decided I need to make it again!  This time, I went with the boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of a full chicken, and in the end, it ended up tasting wonderful and the photos are at least acceptable!  And, that my friends, is really all that counts!

It's simple, it's tangy, it once again, screams summer!  Mmmmmmm.... Barbecue!!!

Carolina Style Barbecue Chicken
Adapted from Food Network Magazine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup yellow mustard
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons hot sauce (I used Cholula)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
kosher salt and pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the salt, pepper, and chicken.  Remove a quarter to half of the mixture and set aside.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a resealable plastic bag or shallow dish.  Pour the other half of the mixture over the chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.

Preheat grill to medium and oil the grill grates.  Remove the chicken from the marinade and place directly over the fire.  Grill 6-9 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through.  Serve with reserved sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Lemon and Oregano Rubbed Grilled Chicken

9 comments:

Desi said...

YUM! I love your grilled chicken recipes :) And that bbq sauce looks pretty tasty too. Great recipe, Jenn! Hope you had a nice weekend :)

StephenC said...

Back in Denver we used to use cholula at the diner for an occasional breakfast. We loved it. Nice chicken!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Mmmmm, that sauce sounds so yummy!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mary said...

You really do like sauces, don'tcha? This looks fantastic. I love everything in that sauce.

Pam said...

I've never had a mustard based bbq sauce before - it sounds tasty!

Unknown said...

Looks scrumptious Jenn. The mustard base bbq sauce also sounds delicious.

Yenta Mary said...

I absolutely LOVE the Carolina style of bbq with mustard, and the slaw with vinegar ... sigh. A little heat and a little sweetness thrown in ... perfection!

Chris said...

South Carolina mustard sauce rocks and works great on grilled chicken. I know most people only think of it with pork but the first time I ever had it was on smoked turkey so it's a poultry natural for me.

xl pharmacy said...

simply delicious, in my case I like to prepare this with honey, make a good sauce and add honey, and of course add a little chili touch.