Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Beef Short Ribs with Grilled Baby Bok Choy

I don't normally find myself alone for dinner on a Saturday night, but a few weeks ago, Chris had practice in the evening and I was left to fend for myself for dinner.  I actually found this to be sort of exciting.  Not that I don't love cooking for Chris and enjoying our Saturday evenings together, it's just that it's not often I get to cook certain things that I truly like and Chris does not.

Enter the baby bok choy!  Chris does not like cabbage.  Let me rephrase that:  Chris does not like cabbage unless it's in coleslaw.  So, when I was at the store and I saw that they had baby bok choy on sale, I thought why not grab some and see what simple dish I could come up with.

I don't know if the picture actually portrays the meat as being moist or not, but trust me when I say, the meat fell right off the bone and it was moist and delicious..... so moist and delicious, I wish I had more... right now.... mmmmmm!!!!

Beef Short Ribs with Grilled Baby Bok Choy
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 lb beef short ribs
2 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon water
2 teaspoons Sriracha
2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
drop of sesame oil
2 heads baby bok choy, sliced in half lengthwise
olive oil  (I used basil olive oil)
salt and pepper

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, ginger, and onion powder.  Rub on all sides of the short ribs.  Warp in plastic wrap and let sit in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven or grill to 300 degrees F.  In a bowl, combine the soy, water, Sriracha, sweet chili sauce, and sesame oil.  Stir until well blended.  Tear off a piece of aluminum foil big enough to hold the short ribs.  Remove ribs from plastic wrap and place on aluminum foil.  Pour soy mixture over ribs and seal the aluminum foil around the ribs.  Place aluminum packet in oven/grill and cook for 1 hour.  Reduce heat to 250 degrees and cook another 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beef is fall off the bone tender.  Remove from oven/grill and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat grill to 350 degrees (if not already using it).  Drizzle olive oil over both sides of the cut bok choy and season with salt and pepper.  Place directly over the fire and allow to grill for about 3-5 minutes per side.  Carefully remove and serve along side short ribs.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Oven Baked Fish 'N Chips

10 comments:

Marina said...

I love love love your recipes!

StephenC said...

You've outdone yourself. We absolutely love to braise bok choy. And as for ribs, they can make you get religion.

Angie's Recipes said...

The short ribs is cooked to perfection!

Cranberry Morning said...

Those ribs DO look moist and delicious. Sure wish I'd eaten one of those last night before bed, instead of a brownie. Maybe I wouldn't have this fierce headache! The Bok Choy was a great idea for a side.

Pam said...

The bok choy looks great - I've never thought to cook with it before. The short ribs look moist and delicious.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Love the color on the bok choy! Its one of my favorite baby cabbages, too :) The ribs look perfect, moist and falling apart tender. Serious YUM Jenn!

Big Dude said...

Looks very good Jeen - short ribs have been in the back of my mine lately.

Candace said...

Jenn, you have the best recipes. Seriously. I get hungry every time I pop over here to see you. Now that I seem to have my commenting issues fixed, I can actually tell you about it. :)

Mary said...

This whole meal looks fantastic. I would have loved it. (I am rarely that ambitious when I'm on my own for a meal! Way to go, girl)

Chris said...

The beef looks scrumptious and perfectly juicy, Jenn. I think Chris missed out on this one.