Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Chicken Cordon Bleu....On the Grill!

One of Chris's favorite dishes is Chicken Cordon Bleu, so when I saw this recipe for Fire Roasted Cordon Bleu, I thought, "OH YEAAAAH! (imagine I sound like the Kool-Aid Man right now) A Chris Fav and I get to do it on the grill!!".  I mean, it's done on the grill... you knew I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to use my grill!  I really do hope you aren't getting too sick of the grilling recipes...I really try to make sure that they are recipes you can easily adapt to your oven too...and this one would be no different.  Actually, I make chicken cordon bleu in the oven all the time.  It's really the only way I had thought to make it until I saw the post on Nibble Me This.  This is my chicken cordon blue recipe, but just done on the grill.  Why I had never thought of this myself, I will never know...

Chicken Cordon Bleu (On the Grill)
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices ham (I used smoked ham)
4 slices pepper jack cheese
2-3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-2 cups panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper
toothpicks
vegetable oil

Directions:
One at a time, place chicken in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound out to about 1/2-inch in thickness.  Season both sides with salt and pepper.  Place a piece of ham and a slice of cheese on top of the underside of the chicken.  Carefully roll the chicken up and secure with toothpicks.

In a shallow bowl or plate, add the flour and season with salt and pepper.  In another shallow bowl, add the panko and season with salt and pepper.  Dip the chicken in the flour, coating lightly (shake off any excess), then in the egg, and then into the panko mixture.  Set onto a plate and continue until all four pieces of chicken are breaded.

Meanwhile, preheat your grill to medium.  Add oil to a cast iron skillet and place on the grill grates.  Once the oil is hot, add the chicken one at a time.  Close the lid and allow to cook about 5 minutes.  Turn and cook another 5 minutes.  Turn one more time, making sure all sides are nice and brown, and cook another few minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  Carefully remove from oil and enjoy!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Cordon bleu on the grill. Color me impressed. :o)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What an accomplishment. It looks wonderful and sounds delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Annie said...

That looks wonderful Jenn! I took some chicken out of the freezer this morning wondering what I was going to do with it....Now I know! :)

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that looks so, so good!!! I ate breakfast hours ago, and I'm ready for lunch now!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love cordon bleu!! Its one of my all time favorite chicken dishes. Who knew you could grill it! All I can say is yum yum yummy yum!

StephenC said...

If one were doing this on the stove, would it be necessary to cover the pan at any point? Also, I'm wondering if I could somehow do this with chicken legs. (I'm thawing a whole bunch of them as we "speak".)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Drooling... That's about all I have to say about this one.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

wow...that looks really really good! and those potatoes are a perfect side for the chicken!! sounds like you have a winner!

Julie said...

That sounds just wonderful...those potatoes on the side look scrumptious too :)