Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Thick Cut Pork Chops with Korean BBQ Sauce

As you may well know, I complain a ton because I can only find thin cut pork chops.  Well, you can believe me then when I say I was EXTREMELY excited when I actually found thick cut chops!!  I had to spend more then I wanted to, so this was considered a "special occasion", BUT I got them....  And.. Oh... My.... God.... They were AMAZING!

I know at least three people out there that will be so proud of me because I brined these chops!! Once again, do I think brining made a difference?  Absolutely!!  I believe it helped keep those chops nice and moist.  Then again, me being a pretty kick ass griller (I know it's not a word, but it should be) doesn't hurt the cause either! (Hey, I don't toot my horn very often, please just let me have this!! lol)

Honestly, these chops were so good just by themselves, but as you know my feelings on sauce, the Korean BBQ Sauce just made them that much more delicious.  And the sauce will go with any kind of meat actually, so even if you aren't a fan of pork chops, you can still try this amazing bbq sauce on chicken or even beef.  It's a must try! 

Thick Cut Pork Chops with Korean BBQ Sauce
Sauce recipe adapted from Epicurious.com
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 large, thick cut bone in pork chops (at least 1-inch thick)
4 cups water
3 Tablespoons kosher salt
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the BBQ Sauce -
1 Tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 garlic clove, minded
1 serrano chile with seeds, finely chopped
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
3 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon hoisin
1 teaspoon sriracha
1/4 teaspoons sesame oil

Directions:
In a large bag or bowl, add the water, salt, sugar, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.  Place the pork in the water and allow to brine for at least 2 hours.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.  Add the serrano and saute until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.  Add the soy, brown sugar, vinegar, water, hoisin, and sriracha and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until mixture reduces to 3/4 cup, about 5 minutes or so (sauce will be thin).  Remove from heat and whisk in sesame oil.  Allow to cool.

When ready to grill, preheat your grill to 400 degrees F.  Remove pork from brine and rinse under running water, thoroughly.  Brush each side of pork with bbq sauce and place directly over the fire.  Grill, basting with sauce, for about 10 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.  If the pork is starting to char, remove from direct heat and cook over indirect heat until correct internal temperature is reached.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before cutting into.  Serve with any remaining bbq sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Basil & Lime Tilapia with Basil Aioli

14 comments:

StephenC said...

I am so pleased about two things. First, the brining. Hugs from me to you. Second, the final temperature of the pork. I think word is finally getting out that 160 degrees is not necessary and undesirable. Kudos to you.

Yenta Mary said...

OMG, those are GORGEOUS!!! And so many layers of flavor, from the richness of the pork (which I adore), to the brining (essential), to the sauce (sigh ... ). A perfect meal!!!

tinyskillet said...

Ha! I love how excited you get about food. It makes me feel so normal now! :D I am the griller in my household and I always will be, I just can't trust anyone else to do as good a job. Haha! I love that you brined them and I will be looking for thick chops to try these, the sauce looks amazing. Sometimes they sell whole and half pork loins really cheap...then I cut it the way I want. On the hunt now! ;D

Unknown said...

My husband and I just discussed how we plan to eat lots of pork this summer b/c of it's low price tag and deliciousness! I am saving this recipe...all those wonderful flavors you use!!! YUM!

Pam said...

They look moist and delicious - the sauce sounds fantastic.

Desi said...

Jenn, I feel your pain! My grocery store only carries thin pork chops and I HATE it! I love a thick juicy chop, preferably bone-in, but thick is a must! Otherwise they just get too hard and overcooked. YUCK! Your sauce looks delish too... I was just posting about how I need to make more pork recipes. This is one I'm definitely gonna make!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I love korean bbq anything!!! And those pork chops look so perfectly cooked. Good girl!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Katie said...

I can never find thick cut chops, either! Oh well, with that Korean BBQ sauce I'm sure it'd make even the thin, wimpy ones delicious!

Val said...

YUM...The sauce looks and sounds amazing.

Cranberry Morning said...

I don't think I've ever managed to make pork nice and thick AND done, yet moist like those. They look fantastic. I can almost taste them, but I made myself promise not to eat anything after 6 PM

Angie's Recipes said...

I don't think I have seen a thick pork chop before...that's probably why I thought it's TUNA at first ;-))
It does look amazing!

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Mmmmmm, thick and juicy pork with a nice sauce. Nothing is better than that. Glad you were able to get your hands on some thick cuts. :)

Chris said...

It has hard to beat brined pork chops, isn't it? The flavor just rocks and a thick moist grilled chop is a thing of beauty. And yes, the third element to a perfect chop is kick ass grilling skills, which you obviously already have.

Unknown said...

I don't like paper-thin pork chops. They must be thick and succulent just like these. Incredible!