Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

I spent a lot of years of my life in not so great relationships.  The nice thing with at least two of them, I got really good cookie recipes out of them!!

I love the ease of this recipe and of course, the fact that they are CHOCOLATE cookies with CHOCOLATE chips :) Mmmmmmmm... chocolate!!

One of my other favorite cookie recipes (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies) rolls the dough in sugar before baking them and I always say that is what makes those cookies so amazingly good.  I thought I would see if the same would go for these cookies..... Not so much.  I mean they were good... how could something rolled in sugar not be, right... they just weren't any better then the ones not rolled in sugar, so I'm leaving that step out all together and giving you the original recipe.  This recipe is simple and produces delicious cookies!

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe courtesy Anna Lee Lantz
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 box devils food cake mix
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chocolate chips (or a little more if you desire)

Directions:
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Beat egg, water, butter, shortening, sugar and half the cake mix until smooth.  Stir in remaining cake mix and the oats.  Fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop dough by tablespoons full, 2-inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes, rotating baking sheet half way through the cooking process.  Cool slightly, remove from baking sheet and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.  Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.

One note about these cookies... the less time they are in the oven, the chewier they will be.  I actually usually only bake mine for a maximum of 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  New New Orleans Pasta

14 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

You baked again! And you baked chocolate cookies that have oatmeal in them, so you KNOW they're healthy and you can eat as many as you want!!! :)

StephenC said...

"Not so great relationships" - uh, oh. I guess a cookie heals a lot of wounds.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh wow...how do you make oatmeal cookies even better?? Add chocolate! Love it!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Cake mix cookies are always so good! They look really good Jenn, but its a chocolate cookie how can it NOT look good?? :) And hey, if you got some good recipes out of past failed relationships then I say you got a good thing out of them! LOL

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

I agree with Andrea - at least you came out with some good cookies!! These look sinfully delicious.

Cranberry Morning said...

Wait a minute...I was reading through and trying to see what temp you set the grill at. ;-) These look fantastic, and it's 10:30 AM so I want a few!!

Pam said...

I love chewy cookies - these look tasty Jenn.

Angie's Recipes said...

That's winning combination! Yummy!

Desi said...

At least you got something good outta those old boyfriends :) Happy Monday!

Pam said...

Pass those cookies this way please! They look great loaded with all that chocolate. You came out with winners!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your cookies look wonderful, Jenn. I also love the new appearance of your blog. You've been a busy gal. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Mmmm! I love the combo of chocolate and oatmeal! Delicious cookies!

Unknown said...

Lovely cookies Jenn! Very chocolatey... Yum.

Denise said...

I love cake mix cookies so easy and quick to make, I will sure give these a try. I have a cake mix cookie recipe that I shared this week too go check it out. Its all about the peanut butter !!!