Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kung Pao Beef

Once again, I'm sitting at my computer while The Hangover plays on the TV in the background.  My attention is constantly being drawn away from the matter at hand and to the comedic relief I so very much am craving at the moment...



Sorry, had to share that, I love that song :)

Ok, now on to the recipe...

What can I say?  This a great tasting dish.  I'm sure it would have been even better if I had  coated the meat in cornstarch and then fried it.  It probably would have been really really REALLY good... but alas, you know I try very hard to eat healthier versions of things, so this is what you get.  Plus, authentic Kung Pao Beef doesn't usually come with so many veggies, but I couldn't help myself. The flavors are still incredible and you won't have to run an extra mile after eating it!

Kung Pao Beef
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 1/4 lbs steak (I used flank steak), sliced - against the grain - into bite size strips
2 Tablespoons Hoisin
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2 sweet bell peppers - red, orange, or yellow - thinly sliced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the sauce -
2 teaspoon chili paste
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon soy sauce.  Place the sliced steak in a resealable bag and pour the marinade over it.  Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour and up to over night.

Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.

In a wok or large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat.  Remove the steak from the marinade and place in the heated skillet.  Stir fry the beef for 2 minutes.  Add the sliced bell pepper and cook another 5 minutes or until the beef is cooked and the peppers have softened just a bit.  Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute.  Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil, stirring to coat everything.  Reduce heat and allow to cook until the sauce thickens, another 1-2 minutes.  Toss in the sliced green onions.  Serve over rice or noodles.... and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Coleslaw

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the song too. Hillarious.
The beef looks delicious Jenn. The sauce coats the beef beautifully.
I'm currently in transit in Singapore... One more short flight! :)

StephenC said...

I want you to cook this for me. Wait - I could cook this for myself! LOL

Yenta Mary said...

Cornstarch or not, this looks just amazing! I'm sure the flavors burst as vibrantly as the colors ... :)

Anna's kitchen table said...

Yum! You always have such gorgeous sounding recipes!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I got some better hoisin sauce yesterday at the grocery store so I can start making some Jenn stir fries :) This one looks really good, I love spiced beef with veggies. I need to start using beef in my stir fries more often!

Rivki Locker said...

I love homemade Chinese foods. And so do my kids. Bookmarking this to try soon. Thanks for sharing!

Chris said...

If you haven't seen Hangover II, just a hint....you will NOT be able to play Stu's new song for Alan this time around, ha ha.