Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Grilled Chinese Pork Back Ribs

 
I happened to end up at the store during a sweet meat sale and I found pork back ribs for $5.  I could not pass that up.  Plus, it was Saturday, there was boxing on later that night, what goes better with boxing then ribs, right??

Alright...so I had ribs, but the last few times I've done ribs, I've done them in the more traditional way, so this time I wanted the flavors to be a bit different.  On the fly, I came up with this idea.  Now, I'll admit, I think I added a bit too much Chinese 5-spice to the rub, but not to worry, I have changed the amounts and all should be well here.  If you are worried, do something I didn't do and just add a little at a time, taste, add more if needed.

If you love Asian flavors as much as I do, you will definitely want to try this.

Grilled Chinese Pork Back Ribs
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 rack pork back ribs
For the rub -
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon hot mustard powder (you can use regular dry mustard)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the sauce -
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2 Tablespoons ketchup
3 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon Sriracha

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the rub.  Rinse the ribs and pat dry.  Rub the rub mixture all over the ribs, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours or over night.

To make the sauce:  In a small saucepan over medium heat, add all the ingredients and mix until well combined.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Once sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.   Remove from heat and allow to cool.  (reserve a little for dipping if you would like)

When you are ready to grill - preheat your grill to 375 degrees.  Wrap the ribs in aluminum foil and grill over indirect heat for 1 hour.  Carefully remove the ribs from the foil and place directly over the heat.  Allow to grill for another 15-20 minutes, basting periodically with the sauce.  Remove and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Creole Cast Iron Fish

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Jenn I love this kind of thing. Utterly perfect TV food. Just keep em coming!!

Anna's kitchen table said...

D'you know what? I LOVE visiting your blog because you make things I want to try immediately! I wish I lived in your house, LOL

StephenC said...

I agree with the comments above. And probably those that will be below.

Anonymous said...

these ribs look fabulous! OMG! I want some right now! I dont care if its 7:15 am!

Cranberry Morning said...

I think I have all the ingredients for this but the hoisin sauce. I believe I finally threw that bottle away after 10 years. lol As usual, Jenn, these look amazing!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

$5 for ribs? Shoot that's a great deal! 5 spice is a fickle beast at best, I've over done it more than my fair share of time, too. They sound awesome & look fab.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, this is just killing me! Here I am, sitting at my desk at the SYNAGOGUE, drooling over pork ribs!!! They look amazing ... :)

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Those ribs look fantastic, Jenn! As soon as I saw them I thought "Mmm...wonder if she used hoisin sauce." And you DID!

Chris said...

I enjoy how free you are in the kitchen, bold enough to try out things without a recipe. I cook like that too, by the seat of my britches:)

Mary Bergfeld said...

I may not have cast a wide enough net,but I've never met anyone who does not enjoy ribs fixed this way. These sound delicious, Jenn.Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Big Dude said...

They look delicious Jenn and I plan to try them Wed for BBQ day.

We Are Not Martha said...

Mmm I love Chinese style ribs and these sound (and look) SO good!

Sues

Cheeseboy said...

Oh, it's the 5 spice that make me want them so.