Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tequila-Jalapeno Glazed Chicken

So you may have heard me mention a time or two that I am a boxing fan.  I believe I am actually just a boxing fan by default.  My boyfriend loves it, lives it, breaths it, so I at least live it most Saturday nights.  That's ok, I've learned a lot about the sport and where it has been and where it has come.  And honestly, I've really have enjoyed some of the fights.  I even know more then I care to admit about the sport, but that's not really what I'm here to talk about.  Today, I just want to mention that last week, the boxing hall of fame inducted 12 new members including boxing greats like Juilo Cesar Chavez, Mike Tyson, and trainer Ignacio "Nacho" Beristain.  What might surprise you was that Sylvester Stallone is also a newly inducted member of this pristine club.  That's right folks, Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa himself.  And why, you ask, would he be inducted considering he wasn't a real heavyweight champion?  Well, it's all because of what he did for the sport itself through the Rocky movies.   He inspired millions of people and an untold number of future fighters through each film.  Rocky was nominated for 10 Academy Awards... 10!!!  The success of Rocky began one of the most lucrative and triumphant film franchises in history.  He even won the Boxing Writers Association of America award for "Lifetime Cinematic Achievement in Boxing".  His involvement in the sport continued as host and executive producer of the boxing reality show "The Contender".  I know there are those out there that don't believe he deserved this honor, but I am not one of them.  I, for one, am truly excited about the fact that he was honored in this way.  As even Mike Tyson was heard saying - "He contributed more to boxing then some champions did." Amen!

Anyway, I don't think a lot of people had heard this news, so I thought I would quickly mention it... and considering I don't have much else to talk about other then work, I thought this was a good introduction to this "3rd round knock out" recipe :) lol
It's moist, flavorful, sticky, and delicious - do I really need to say anything else??

Tequila-Jalapeno Glazed Chicken
Adapted from Epicurious.com
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/2 a whole chicken
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup tequila
2 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1-2 jalapenos with seeds, finely chopped

Directions:
Mix together the water, salt, sugar, garlic, and white pepper until the sugar has dissolved.  Place chicken in ziploc bag and pour the brining liquid over it.  Allow to brine for at least 2 hours.  Remove chicken from brine and thoroughly rinse the chicken under cold water.  Pat dry.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add the orange juice, tequila, brown sugar, honey and jalapeno.  Bring mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.  Reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.  Allow to cool, reserving 2-3 tablespoons for serving.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees.  Oil the grill grates.  Place the chicken, skin side down, over direct heat and allow to grill for 8-10 minutes.  Flip the chicken over and baste the skin side with the glaze.  Allow to grill for 5 minutes.  Move chicken to indirect heat and continue to grill until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165-170 degrees, basting throughout the cooking process.  Remove the chicken from the grill, cover with foil and allow to rest for 8 minutes before cutting into it.  Serve with reserved sauce.  Enjoy! 

 
One Year Ago:  Sugar Ray's Body Blow Ribs

11 comments:

StephenC said...

I must create a shrine to brine. When I see pix like this I am tempted to go out and buy a little hibachi.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

The grill marks are a thing of beauty Jenn! I love how glazed and delicious the chicken looks, too. Great pics! I for one love Rocky, its about all I know about boxing :) When I was a kid my mom was a HUGE Rocky fan (Ok it was just Sly she liked but still) and she took us to the Rocky movies. Rocky VI is still one of my favorite, with the hot Russian dude :) Congrats to the inductees and I agree Sylvester Stallone has done a LOT for boxing via his movies. This Witch would know nothing about the sport otherwise!

Pam said...

Boxing is hard for me to watch, it just seems so brutal. This chicken on the other hand would NOT be hard for me to eat... it looks and sounds fantastic.

Cranberry Morning said...

Congratulations to Rocky Balboa. I just don't like the idea that people get smacked in the head for no good reason at all. (not that I think they should get smacked in the head for a good reason, mind you). Don't people play chess anymore? lol

the chicken looks scrumptious!!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Now that's one hot happy chicken! No one will be able to keep their hands off her :-). It sounds delicious, Jenn. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

you. had. me. at. TEQUILA!!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Utterly beyond delicious. Giada would be proud of those grill marks girl! And Bobby! And Emeril! And Iove hearing random little trivia about fellow blogger friends. Boxing - who knew?

Katie said...

I bet this would be spectacular with some warm tortillas.

Yenta Mary said...

Tequila and jalapenos ... that is just a party waiting to happen! What a fabulous meal!!!

© said...

Best post ever.

Chris said...

I have no problem at all with Stallone getting that honor because he did do a lot for the sport and reinvigorated the sport at a time when it was in flux.

I just imported this chick chick chicken recipe into my BigOven desktop so I can try it later, I love the glaze.