Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Simple Fudge Ripple Ice Cream

The pictures do not do this ice cream justice.  Oh, they aren't BAD, but they aren't good either.  If you want to see an absolutely fantastic photo of this scrumptious ice cream, please visit Jean's site - Delightful Repast.  She takes much better photos then I do, trust me! :)

Despite my photo challenges, this ice cream was DELICIOUS!!! YUM - YUM and double YUM!  That's about all you can say.  The fudge sauce is homemade and the only chocolate it uses is cocoa powder, it uses everything I had in my pantry (YAY!)...that's why I could not pass this one up, I had everything on hand!

The only thing I did differently from Jean's original recipe was adding chocolate chips.  And, really, it didn't need them, I just had a small amount of them and thought I should use them.  Waste not want not...

Simple Fudge Ripple Ice Cream
Ever so slightly adapted from Jean at Delightful Repast
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 cup 2% milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
For the fudge sauce -
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:
In a large bowl or 2 quart measuring cup, whisk together the milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt until the sugar is dissolved.  Stir in the heavy cream.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Meanwhile, at least 2 hours before making the ice cream, make the sauce.  In a medium sauce pan, whisk together sugar, cocoa, salt, and water.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; continue cooking for 1 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter until butter is melted.  Let cook at room temperature, then chill for about 30 minutes before using.  If you chill it too long, you'll need to wait for it to warm up a bit because it needs to be thin enough to drizzle into "ripples".

Put child ice cream mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.  Add the chocolate chips in the last few minutes of the processing.

Transfer a quarter of the soft ice cream to a freezer safe airtight container, drizzle on some of the sauce.  Repeat three more times (you will have sauce left over for drizzling on the ice cream when you are ready to serve it).  Place in freezer until ice cream is firm.  Drizzle with any remaining sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

10 comments:

StephenC said...

If I had an ice cream maker my waistline would be in jeopardy. You young-uns can go wild with it, can't you.

SnoWhite said...

what a brilliant ice cream! I love ice cream so much, but we typically just do vanilla. I must branch out and this one looks superb.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

And to think that I have my ice cream freezer cylinder in the freezer just waiting for me :) This looks goooooooooood! I think its a good photo Jenn, but then again its ice cream and really ANY photo of ice cream is A-OK in my book :) Seriously tho, this looks amazing I want to make some soon!

Unknown said...

I think the picture makes it look heavenly! With the chocolate drizzle!!! I ate my weight in ice cream this past weekend so this is bringing back fond memories! LOL! Off to the treadmill!!!!!!

Denise said...

What a great picture, I love ice cream, my garage sale goal is to find one cheap, thanks for the recipe I have it bookmarked.

Cranberry Morning said...

I saw that recipe on Jean's blog also, and it looks amazing, regardless of who makes it! I like the addition of mini chocolate chips, myself, and maybe some chopt walnuts or pecans. Yum.

Christine's Pantry said...

I love ice cream. Great recipe!

Katie said...

Let me tell you what sounds better than this ice cream: .... Nothing. Yum!

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Jenn, thank you for your sweet comments about my photography! I'm working on it! So glad you tried the recipe and liked it as much as we did. And it's so easy! I appreciate that more and more.

Chris said...

First of all, I am pretty sure that "child ice cream mixture" is illegal in Tennessee. You Arizona people sure have some strange laws =))

Seriously though, this rocks my ice cream socks! I was thinking I couldn't use it since I have one of those Cuisinart machines but since you layer it like that, yes it will! Can't wait to try it.