Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2012

Aleppo Pepper Aioli

Aleppo peppers are a moderately hot red chile from Turkey and Northern Syria.  I actually picked up a small jar of Aleppo pepper flakes a couple of months ago for a recipe I was trying out and I've never used them since.  Honestly, you could use these in place of crushed red pepper flakes.. the only difference is they might be a little hotter than the Aleppo depending on which brand you use.  If you don't have crushed Aleppo for this recipe, you can easily replace it with red pepper flakes, although the flavors will be a tad bit different.

This little aioli works well with just about anything - shrimp, fish, chicken, pork, heck, even beef if you aren't opposed to putting a sauce on your next steak - versatility at it's finest!

Aleppo Pepper Aioli
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, blanched and finely minced
1/2 - 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon honey
white pepper and salt to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined.  Season with salt and white pepper to taste.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  Can be made up to 5 days in advance.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Chinese Pork Back Ribs
Two Years Ago:  Creole Cast Iron Fish

11 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oooh, it's rich and creamy and spicy and zesty ... perfect!

Cranberry Morning said...

Yeah, it looks perfect! And to think of the years I wasted using bottled tartar sauce for fish (not to mention the headache from it!) So glad I found you, Jenn! :-)

StephenC said...

Wasn't Aleppo one of the Marx brothers. Whatever, I'm sure he would love to smear this aioli all through Grouch's mustache.

StephenC said...

Corrections: add question mark after "brothers." Spell it "Groucho."

Mary said...

Yum. That's my kind of spicy sauce. I'm going to keep my eyes open for the aleppo pepper flakes. Thanks!

Angie's Recipes said...

Aioli with a peppery touch...I sure will love it.

Pam said...

I've never heard of the aleppo pepper. The aioli looks and sounds wonderful.

Debra Hawkins said...

I have never heard of this kind of pepper, going to look for it at the store today!

Chris said...

I've heard about Aleppo from several people, yourself included, so I'm going to have to try to find it. I have a buttload of other dried chiles by the bag. Did you Aleppo come whole or ground?

Unknown said...

Chris - they were crushed Aleppo flakes... so like red pepper flakes basically.

Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) said...

I'm so in love with Aleppo Pepper. I think it's just about perfect heat and great flavor. And it's oily so it sticks to things. :) Love this Aioli Jenn.