Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Chile-Rubbed Grilled Chicken

Well, it has begun.  It hit 111 the other day.  Over the weekend... pretty dang close to it - 106, 104 - the heat has arrived.  BUT, it's ok... I am prepared for it.  Or at least you'd think I would be.  I'm really not.  For some reason, although I know it's coming, I'm still a bit shocked at how hot it truly can get here.  I know most people will think I'm crazy, but I'd rather it be this warm than have to deal with the cold and snow.  Hence, why I live in Arizona!

Enough about the weather, I'm sure I'll bitch about it again before the year is out :)  For now, let's talk chicken.  I LOVED this rub.  It was so flavorful and perfect for poultry.  I would definitely make this again.  And of course, I created a little aioli to go along with it.  That always makes good meat that much better anyway!

Chile-Rubbed Grilled Chicken
Adapted from The Food Network Magazine
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3/4 teaspoon Ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Ancho Aioli (recipe follows)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the spices.  Stir in the olive oil.  Rinse chicken and pat dry.  Spread the spice mixture evenly over both sides of each piece of chicken.  Place in a shallow dish, cover, and place in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees.  Clean and oil grill grates.  Place the chicken on the grill and cook 6-9 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees F.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes.  Serve with ancho aioli if desired.  Enjoy!

Ancho Aioli
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until well combined.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  Can be made up to 3 days in advance.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Bobby Flay's Mesa Hot Sauce Marinated Chicken
Two Years Ago:  Steak de Burgo

9 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, I love how you make something that seems so simple - chicken - so glamorous and flavorful! Spices, spices, spices ... I can practically taste this! And I'm with you - give me heat any day over cold and snow. We had an unbelievably mild winter, so we're all leery of summer. But I'm cold all the time anyway, so I'm happier when it's warmer ... :)

Big Dude said...

The chicken and aioli both sound delicious, as usual. Have you considered a floating grill :-). I believe I'd be hunting a job in Oregon (or Maine for me) if it got 111 here.

Mary said...

This sounds delicious, Jenn! I am so glad that we were up at the cabin last week when the valley passed 110. UGH. I thought it was miserable when we came home yesterday and it was the coldest day of the week! I'd better plan another trip out of town ASAP.

Anonymous said...

I've bookmarked this rub - it sounds so good - I would wilt in 111 degrees - no question.
Mary x

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks delicious! I don't think I used cumin or coriander until a few years ago. Now I wonder how I kept a kitchen without them! (yeah, weird. I know.)

I think of the 111 and then temper it with our forty below. Then I understand why...

Lea Ann said...

If it were 111 here, I'd be at the emergency room. That's why I live in Colorado. With that said, I've got to try this chicken and the sauce. Sounds wonderful.

Bo said...

I'm so glad it doesn't get that hot here! Love this simple chicken. Gonna try it soon.

Candace said...

wowza, that's hot! I'm a wimp when it comes to heat; but even more so when it comes to humidity. It might not be so bad for me in the desert. I would be willing to give it a shot to be your neighbor. Now about this chicken....you never fail to make me sooo hungry, Jenn. Grilled food is the best and yours is at the top of the list for tasty. It looks and sounds delicious! Have a nice weekend!

Chris said...

High praise coming from you, I just saved this to try ASAP.