Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Homage to Heinz 57®

Growing up, there was usually a bottle of Heinz 57 sauce in our refrigerator.  I love Heinz 57... I could dip just about anything and everything in it.  You could find it at almost any restaurant you went to, also.  My favorite, even when I was younger, was mixing it with just a little mayo and dipping fries into it.  Mmmmmmm.... I can taste it now, actually!!  When I moved to Arizona, I noticed that very few (did I mention very few?) restaurants actually carried it.  Ok, I could still get it at home, but sometimes you just want something that you can get at home when you go out... am I right? :)

Anyway, I wanted to do a little tribute to my second favorite condiment (Sriracha being number one), so I decided to marinate some chicken in it.  I wanted to keep it really simple and bring the true Heinz 57 flavor to the chicken.  I took the sauce and added a little honey, garlic, and red pepper flakes to it.  Once I was done, I was taking a picture of the bottle in case I wanted to use it here - and lo' and behold I notice a recipe on the back of the bottle for almost the same damn marinade!  lol  Ok, theirs was just Heinz 57 and honey, but I guess it is true - Great minds really do think alike!!

Heinz 57® Grilled Chicken
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 - 
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Heinz 57®
1 Tablespoon honey
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
Mix together all the ingredients, except the chicken, until well combined.  Place the chicken in a resealable bag or a shallow dish and pour the marinade over it.  Seal/cover and place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours.

Preheat the grill to 375 degrees.  Clean and oil grill grates.  Remove chicken from bag and discard the marinade.  Place the chicken over the fire and grill for 6-10 minutes per side or until the chicken registers an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees F.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes.  Serve with extra Heinz 57® if desired.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Two Years Ago:  New New Orleans Pasta

14 comments:

StephenC said...

I love "57" so much I use it as a deodorant.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Mmmmmmmmm! :))

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Once my mom got 57 instead of A1 for steaks. I was not amused lol. Can you believe I've never tried it since then??? Looks really delicious. I think I need to buy a new condiment!! :)

Mary said...

That is priceless. I did that with a salad dressing once. I was excited with a new recipe and I opened a package of salad leaves or nuts or something like that and the same almost exact recipe was on the package! LOL

Yenta Mary said...

I love Heinz 57 sauce! Zesty, hints of sweetness, perfect with so many foods!

Pam said...

Heinz 57 is my favorite sauce... I loved it as a kid too. I've never thought to use it as a marinade - great idea!

Debra Hawkins said...

I have never actually tasted Heinz 57. I think I am going to go try some now!

Cranberry Morning said...

Why is it I haven't been able to look at Heinz 57 the same since John Kerry ran for President? lol

Remind me to steer clear of StephenC. I mean, seriously! ;-)

Does look delicious, Jenn.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Sounds pretty delicious to me!

Chris said...

Grillicious!

Heinz 57 still delivers after all these years.

Lea Ann said...

Yup, we always had Heinz 57 in our house too. Love it. I like your idea of Mayo for dipping.

Angie's Recipes said...

Really tender and succulent! I too like Heinz sauces.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jenn, it looks delicious. I, too, have reinvented the wheel on occasion, so I hear you loud and clear. Genius is like that :-). Have a wonderful day.

Unknown said...

I grew up in Arizona and in the 70's I remember my mom always used Heinz 57 and honey for a ham glaze. I still to this day do the exact same. So yummy