Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream

I've been wanting to make this pie since I first saw it on the Taste of Home website.  The problem is, if I make a pie, it's just Chris and I and... well... frankly... we'll eat the whole thing.  No, not in one sitting, but still, we end up eating a whole pie.  I feel bad that in 3 or 4 days (or less depending on the size of each slice), I've eaten half a pie.. it just feels wrong (yet oh so right) - so, I don't make a lot of pies, hence why it took me so long to make this :)

The nice thing about the holiday season is that I don't guilt myself about eating half a pie in a matter of days.  So, when Chris suggested making a dessert of some kind for Thanksgiving, I immediately said.. Peanut Butter Pie!!!  Mmmmmmmm!!!  He happily agreed.

Now, had I been thinking proactively, I probably would have added some vanilla bean into the pie mixture, but for some reason I had it in my mind to make vanilla bean whipped cream and didn't think past that.  That's ok, the pie was incredibly fantastic and the homemade whipped cream was just the icing on the cake... or the whipped cream on the pie in this case, I guess you could say.  The pie is simple, the whipped cream is simple, there is no excuse NOT to make this.

What?  What's that you say?  You say you can't make it because you don't have vanilla beans?  Well, check out IndriVanilla for all your vanilla bean needs.  With that said, I also want to thank Whitney from IndriVanilla for opening my eyes to some amazing vanilla beans.  I am so grateful for the samples she sent me and I can't wait to use all of these up so I can buy more!!  (Thanks so much Whitney!!)

Peanut Butter Pie with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
Pie recipe courtesy Taste of Home, Whipped cream recipe created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 (8oz) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
For the Whipped Cream -
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
3-4 Tablespoons powdered sugar (you may want to use more or less depending on taste and consistency you desire)

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, cream cheese, and 1 cup powdered sugar together until smooth.  Fold in whipped topping; pour into pie crust.  Chill for at least 4 hours.

To make the whipped cream - add the whipping cream and vanilla bean to a bowl.  Beat in the powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time until you get the right flavor and consistency.  Serve on top of pie.  Refrigerate any leftovers.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Pots de Creme

18 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love peanut butter pie! This would be gone very fast in our house. So creamy and smooth!

Becki's Whole Life said...

Peanut butter pie is the best, isn't it? We have the same problem...I see so many sweet recipes I would love to make, but I have a rule of only baking sweets once a week. I will save some for my family, but then I package the rest up and the kids deliver to our neighbors. Otherwise I would eat the rest of it.

I do whipped cream when I make desserts, but I have never added real vanilla beans. I sooo want to know - it looks wonderful!

Debbie said...

Another great recipe. I love peanut butter pie and should really give that whipped cream a try. Never used vanilla bean. I've made several pies lately and just love using the refrigerated store crusts. So much easier than making your own and less mess too!

Yenta Mary said...

The next time you make pie, be sure to let me know - especially if it's this luscious peanut butter pie!!! Let me tell you the secret for not eating half-a-pie: a 20 year old male, like Jeremy. Find a neighbor's son, maybe invite his buddies over with him. I assure you that there will not be ONE crumb left after those locusts have plowed through it! Be sure you and Chris take your slices first ... :)

Unknown said...

OMG this is pure heaven... I can feel the pounds piling on just looking at its beauty x

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

This peanut butter pie is different than any I've seen before!! The ones I've always made in the past were more of a peanut pudding (think choco cream pie but peanutbutter). This would be a delicious twist on our favorite. The vanilla whipped cream could be eaten by itself and I'd be a very happy Witch indeed then!

Cranberry Morning said...

...and what temperature do you set your grill? lol

This looks delicious. I really hope I don't make it, but I know what a weakness I have for peanut butter!

Mary said...

This looks FANTASTIC! I made a peanut butter pie for our Thanksgiving too. That looks divine with the shipped cream on top.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Jenn, you know how I feel about pie, and this looks like another tasty one! I'm not going to kid you, though, it would take me a lot less than your "3 or 4 days" to go through half a pie!

StephenC said...

Next time you make this pie, just Fedex half of it to me and your guilt will be completely gone! I'm worried about hearing that peanut butter prices are going way up.

Bo said...

I love peanut butter pie...it's worth a few extra miles on the treadmill.

Anna's kitchen table said...

I'm drooling. Literally.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

A-DORE. Weirdly, my Kris can eat peanut butter sandwiches until the cows come home yet has a problem with pb in sweets. He's a weirdo. One day I will make this when he's out of town and eat it all by myself. Last random comment - did you know we do the Mr. Peanut ads for Planters? Ha ha ha - 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon moment!

Big Dude said...

Looks sinful Jenn and you sure are getting a lot of use from your vanilla beans.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - looks and sounds amazing - you would be one popular lady in my house!
Mary x

Unknown said...

Goodness! That pie looks incredible Jenn! I just had my dinner and definitely need something sweet like that glorious pie. Yum!

Chris said...

Frickin' yum! Look at those little specks of goodness in the whipped topping!

Desi said...

You're right, I don't have vanilla beans. But that's no excuse not to make this especially since you provided me where to get some. Your pie looks freakin awesome, Jenn!!!