Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pots de Creme

From The Pioneer Woman to Andrea the Kitchen Witch to me...this recipe has been on a couple different blogs lately and I could not stop myself from joining in on all the fun!  Two words:  Simple and Decadent.

Pots de creme, pronounced "poh de krem", is a French dessert custard.  The name means simply, pot of custard.  The name is not only for the dessert, but for the white porcelain cups in which the dessert is traditionally served in.

Usually, custard desserts like this are baked.  It takes a long time and well, I'm just not that patient sometimes.  With this recipe, the part I loved the most (besides the wonderful rich chocolately flavor) was how easy and fast this recipe was.  I will leave a sort of dislcaimer like Andrea did and say, ok, I know you are using raw eggs and you aren't baking this, but don't let that stop you from trying it, please!!  I feel that since you are adding extremely hot coffee to the eggs once they are in the blender, that you will kill off anything "bad".  Personally, I used eggs I was comfortable with, so it was no concern of mine.  Just do what you think is best for your family.  My recommendation is:  YOU MUST TRY THIS....it's absolutely incredible!


One more thing... use HIGH QUALITY CHOCOLATE.  Do not use Toll House or something of the same quality.  You are going to want the best chocolate you can find...believe me, it will be worth it!!

Pots de Creme
From The Pioneer Woman via Andrea the Kitchen Witch
- Makes 6 servings -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 12oz bag high quality chocolate chips
4 whole eggs at room temperature
8 oz very hot very strong coffee
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons liquor, like amaretto or Grand Marier - OPTIONAL
Whipped cream (fresh) - OPTIONAL

Directions:
In the carafe of your blender, add the chocolate chips.  Now add the eggs, vanilla, liquor if using, and salt.  Blend on low speed for about 30 seconds.  With the stopper top open, SLOWLY add the very hot coffee to the eggs and chocolate.  Blend on low until chocolate starts to melt than increase to medium.  Blend about 1-2 minutes.  Mixture will double in volume and the chocolate will be completely melted when the mixing is done.

Pour into 6 ramekins or tea cups.  Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving.  Top with whipped cream if desired.  Enjoy!


9 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, you're killing me! The picture is close enough to touch, and yet I'm still not tasting any of that luscious chocolate ... :(

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

It turned out perfect Jenn!! Isn't it the easiest and most delicious dessert, ever??? I'm so glad you tried, and loved, it! Now I have to get a few bags of good chocolate chips so I can have more. Must have more pot de creme! :) PS I'm thinking some peppermint schnapps or extract would be darn delicious this holiday season in this :)

Cranberry Morning said...

You were definitely thinking of ME when you posted this. LOL I can't help myself, this is something I have to make. Looks so amazing!!

StephenC said...

Could a person use pasteurized whole egg product? That would eliminate any squeamishness I would think. Also, I have espresso powder in the fridge. Could that be the coffee?

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Jenn, this chocolate dessert looks so decadent and delicious, and well, amazing! You did a wonderful job, I'm so impressed! One question, though - Do you know what the difference is between pots de creme and chocolate mousse, or is it the same thing? Always been curious about that one. Thanks for sharing this!

Unknown said...

there is not meat in this post?????Jenn!!!!!

I love to see what sweet things you chose, nice one.

Unknown said...

Georgia...very good question. I asked a very well trusted source (Chef Dennis) the difference, here's what he said:
a true Pot de Creme is a basically a baked custard, and for lack of a better term is closer to a creme brulee type dessert, although a pot de creme usually doesn't set up quite as well (which is why traditionally it was made in small pots) its a very smooth rich dessert

A true mousee is made my making a sabyon, which is egg yolks and sugar whipped in a bowl over simmering water, whipped until they have doubled or tripled in volume, then the addition of the flavoring..... this is what cooks the eggs for this dessert. Then Whipped creme is folded in. The result in texture is silky smooth, with a very pronounced flavor (if done correctly).


Hope that helps!

Chris said...

While I'm not a big dessert guy, I KNOW Alexis would love this because she's a big fan of custards like flan and creme brulee.

Green Girl @ A little bit of everything said...

I love chocolate baked custards and yours turned out perfect.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope you have a wonderful week