Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

Creamy White Chicken Chili

 
First, a HUGE thanks to Mary at Barefeet in the Kitchen for the use of this photo.  I am the worse soup picture taker in the blogging world and Mary just happens to catch some pretty incredible looking photos.  So, big thanks to you, Mary, on allowing me to use your photo!

Now, about the chili:  The weather is getting quite chilly here in our part of the world.  Ok, so it's not snowing and it's not below zero, BUT, it reached a low of 30 degrees and that my friends, is COLD here in the desert.  So, it's soup and chili time!!  YAY!!!  And OMG this chili was so incredibly good!  I mean so good that Chris told me... and I quote... "This is the best chicken soup (chili) I have ever had!!"  I would have to agree.  This truly was one of the best chicken soup/chili I have in a very long time.  For me to say this is huge, by the way.  I am a red chili girl.  I usually stick my nose up to white chili.  In my defense it is because I have never had a white chili that has compared to the red ones I do so love.  Well, I may be a convert now.  Or at least with THIS particular white chili.  This will definitely become a regular in our house!

Creamy White Chicken Chili
Slightly adapted from Mary, Barefeet in the Kitchen
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 cups chicken broth
1 (7oz) can chopped green chili
1 can great northern beans
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions:
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil.  Add the onion and garlic and saute until they just become tender, about 2-3 minutes.  Add the chicken to the pan.  Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 5-8 minutes.  Add the broth, beans, chilis and spices.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and allow soup to simmer for 30 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Add the sour cream and heavy cream to the pan and remove from heat.  Stir until everything is combined.  Serve immediately and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Every Chip Cookie

13 comments:

Big Dude said...

We use a recipe that we've always liked but I must try your Southwestern version - like bacon, green chiles make most things better.

Yenta Mary said...

That sounds so amazing! Soup - well, really, food in general - is MUCH harder to take pictures of than people think! Just 'cause it looks good in person doesn't mean it translates well to being digitized (or whatever it is); in real life, you also get the advantage of the fabulous aromas which help to entice. I want my own personal food stylist and professional photographer with all the lights and tripods and filters and whatnot! My only defense for my own photos is that "what you see is what you get;" they're not Photoshopped, so at least you know this is precisely how it will turn out for you. I love it when a moment of serendipity occurs and the photo is fabulous despite anything I'VE done!

StephenC said...

Beans on my mind lately. Good winter food. And you do good photos. I just steal them.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Mmmmm. Never had one with heavy cream in it before. I bet it's over the top! Hope you're staying warm!

Pam said...

That heavy cream makes it looks extra creamy and delicious.

Unknown said...

that does look fab and creamy and perfect for this rainy day we're having.

Dining Alone said...

That just screams comfort food, looks delicious!

Cranberry Morning said...

I am SO used to red chili that this would be a real switch for me. But the ingredient list sounds like something I'd like, so I'll give it a try!

Bo said...

I've been wearing shorts the past 2 days...so not really that cold here...but this does sound like some awesome soup.

And soup is the hardest thing to photograph...I just put it in a pretty bowl and take a picture of the bowl.

Candace said...

I would definitely be willing to give White Chili a try....particularly this one. It sounds delicious!

Desi said...

I saw that chicken chili on Mary's site too and knew I'd have to make it! It sucks trying to get a good soup shot in the winter, doesn't it?!?

Chris said...

Sounds absolutely fantastic to me, I've never had one with so much cream and we LOVE cream.

Anonymous said...

I made your Creamy White Chicken Chili for a chili cook-off at our Eagles Club in Durand, MI and took 1st place. They couldn't rave enough about how wonderful it was. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe with us.

Julie
Gaines, MI
1997hdspringer@gmail.com