Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

Photo Friday - Snow in the Desert

It has never snowed in the part of the valley that I live in, but I get to see the snow capped mountains from time to time.  Isn't it beautiful?  Most people think the desert is hot and dry and there are few things of beauty about it...... maybe this picture will change their minds?

Now I wish I could say I took this picture, but alas, I think we all know my photography skills are not that well refined!  Lucky for me, I stumbled on a picture that was posted by an awesome local photographer, Mike Olbinski.  He was kind enough to let me borrow his photo.  It has been very cold and rainy here in the valley, which leads to cold and snowy in the mountains.  I can see these mountains from my office and when the clouds broke Tuesday afternoon, we got an awesome view of this mountain range - Four Peaks.  I just wanted everyone to see the true beauty that lies within the desert.  So big thanks goes out to Mike for allowing me to share this photo with you!

And, don't forget to stop by Our Krazy Kitchen and check out my Fire Day Friday post... here's what you'll be missing if you don't:


Have a great weekend everyone!
Ciao!
Jenn

One Year Ago:  Guest Post - Crab Delights

12 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

The desert photo is beautiful; but I've gotta admit - obsessive that I am! - that the salmon is even more enticing to me ... :)

Big Dude said...

I like to call the brown part of our country starkly beautiful and that is a great shot. Your trout looks delicious and I wish I had access to some fresh wild caught for both the smoker and the grill.

StephenC said...

What? Trout? No tilapia? Do I have to rename you "Trout Tootsie?" I'll go look at it in just a moment. Just wanted to say that, having left Denver, one of the things I miss most is having seen the snow-capped Rockies every day of my life there.

Mary said...

What an incredible photo. I just checked out the fine art on his blog and all of the pictures are every bit as amazing. I love living in the valley, but wow. His shots make it look absolutely breathtaking!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

That's a stunning photo. I love the contrast between the saguaro cacti and the snow capped peaks. The desert has it's beauty, often (in my eye) it's in the stark contrast between dry lower lands and moister forested mountain areas. I love the mountains, they totally ground me :) Happy Friday Jenn, hope your weekend is amazing!

Cranberry Morning said...

You see those mountains from your office??? Beautiful!! I wish our snow were that far away. :-)
Your trout looks fantastic. Enjoy it for me. I'll be eating chili. :-(

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Visiting a friend in Southern California, I ended up taking a road trip with her to the Phoenix area and was amazed at the desert. There is not "a" desert. There were 3 or 4 different deserts on our journey. Quite beautiful!

Pam said...

LOVE that photo!

I should make this for my husband - he loves trout! Bookmarked.

Mike Olbinski said...

Thanks Jenn for the link! So glad you could use the photo to showcase the beauty of Arizona...it truly is an amazing place :)

And thanks to all of you for the kind words!

That trout looks absolutely epic :)

Debbie said...

That is a beautiful picture. Such vivid colors. We haven't had snow here yet and in fact it hasn't even been that cold. I HOPE and PRAY it stays like this for a while!!!

Angie's Recipes said...

We have a very mild winter this year over here...no snow at all..well, so far. Pretty windy and rainy though.
Grilled trout looks so mouthwatering!

Candace said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It is very mild here this winter and all of our snow is gone. I was hoping for a white Christmas this year; but, it looks like it's not happening for us.