Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thick and Hearty Beer Cheese Soup

I enjoyed the creaminess of the Stove Top Chorizo Mac and Cheese I made back in October, so when I decided to make a beer cheese soup again, I decided to go with the evaporated milk way.  Well, it was definitely creamy.  THICK and creamy, trust me.  It was almost too decadent to eat... almost :)  I'd eat more of it right now, though, trust me.

If you are looking for a nice little soup for your Christmas eve dinner, or just any time you need a little warming up, look no further...this is the soup for you!

Thick and Hearty Beer Cheese Soup
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
Printable Recipes 
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup beer
2 teaspoons Worcestershire
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (spend a little money and get really good cheese)
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed

Directions:
In a large saucepan or soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.  Stir in the flour.  Continue to stir until the flour becomes bubbly.  Slowly whisk in the broth and evaporated milk.  Bring just to a boil and add the beer, Worcestershire, mustard, salt and cayenne.  Let simmer for 15 minutes.  Slowly add the cheese, stirring constantly, until the cheese has melted.  Add the chicken and allow to simmer (do not boil) for another 3-5 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through.  Enjoy!


13 comments:

Big Dude said...

It does look very rich.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Oh my gosh!! It could double up as a pie filling. It looks marvelous!

Merry Christmas dear Jenn to you and yours
Xx

StephenC said...

Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve this will be on our table. One variation: bratwurst or sausage instead of chicken.

Cranberry Morning said...

I like that, 'almost.' :-D This is definitely a creamy soup that I'm keeping on file for a special occasion - like maybe New Years. Christmas Eve tradition around here has us eating New England clam chowder. Maybe I'll make it in January for General Longstreet's birthday. :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love beer cheese soup!! A fresh baked pretzel would be amazing dipped in that thick & hearty soup :) I love using evaporated milk in soups, I'm always amazed at how rich and creamy it is, with out any cream :)

Dining Alone said...

I make a beer cheese dip, but soup would be awesome!!

Pam said...

Yes please! I have a feeling my husband would really love this soup!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jenn! Enjoy your new home.

Yenta Mary said...

OMG, you're not only a temptress but you're psychic! I was just thinking of cheese soup this morning! I have everything I need except for the cheese; guess who's going to the store after work???

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Now that is exactly what I need today. A big heaping bowl of that liquid love!!!

Happy holidays!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Bo said...

Sounds rich!!!

Candace said...

What a fantastic soup recipe! I love the beer/cheese combination. I can almost taste the creamy goodness from way up here.

Mary said...

I'm not a fan of cheesy soups, but my kids sure are. This looks wonderfully rich and creamy!

Chris said...

Beer cheese soup is my absolute favorite soup EVER! A little place in Jacksonville, FL (European Street) makes the best one and it was the one I tried to pattern mine after.

I like yours, haven't tried adding chicken to mine....yet.