Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Grilled Yakitori Chicken

I know I have told you this before, but I get very impatient in the kitchen at times.  I try to curb it, but it's hard to do.  Especially on nights where I am hungry and I'm rushing to get dinner on the table.  Alas, the night I made this dish was just one of those nights.  The sad part about that, well, this meal was really, really good.. BUT.. had I been just a bit more patient, it could have been really, really kick ass good!!!

On a positive note, it just means I must make this again so that I can perfect it and, of course, work on my patience :)  You see, I didn't let this sauce boil long enough, so it never truly thickened up like it should have.  Great thing though, is that it still had the delicious flavor it was supposed to have!!  So although I was disappointed in my performance, I was NOT at all disappointed with this recipe.  It's just yet another hit from my pal Andrea The Kitchen Witch.  Thanks Andrea!!

Grilled Yakitori Chicken
Adapted from Andrea The Kitchen Witch
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into three strips each
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 whole garlic clove, crushed with a back of knife
1 Tablespoon chili paste (Sambal Oelek)

Directions:
Combine the soy, mirin, brown sugar, water, rice vinegar, and garlic clove in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Remove the garlic clove after 5 minutes of simmering.  Continue too simmer until the sauced as reduced to a thick syrup. (and please be patient, it takes a while but is worth the wait!!)  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Remove 2-3 Tablespoons of the sauce add the chili paste.  Stir to combine.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  Place the chicken in a resealable bag and pour the remaining sauce mixture over it.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat grill to 375 degrees F.  Remove chicken from bag and place directly over the fire.  Grill for 5-10 minutes per side or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.  Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Serve with reserved sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Smoked Pork Back Ribs

9 comments:

StephenC said...

Nice work, as usual.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I've done that with the sauce, too. Impatience is maybe the sign of a great cook cause I have it, you have it...and well we rock :) The yakitori chicken looks amazing Jenn. I'm making it for dinner tonight, too :) Isn't the sambal in the marinade nice? We love it!! So excited that you made it too :)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Mmm Mmmm Mmmm, me and the boys favorite!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Angie's Recipes said...

Love yakitori! No double the grilled chicken would taste great.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

It looks pretty dang good Jenn! I think you're being hard on yourself! I remember this one of Andrea's - it's on my must make list.

Chris said...

Very nice! I like the flavor profile of yakitori. It goes great with sweet jasmine rice.

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks delicious, Jenn. Never heard of Mirin, but it looks like something I need to find. Love all the chicken recipes, cuz chicken is my very favorite.

Mary said...

This looks really really good.

Candace said...

Another "must try" Jenn!