Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Smoked Pork Back Ribs

I can officially say that I smoked our dinner Saturday night!!!  Seriously, I smoked it all...and to tell you the truth, it was WAY easy!  Well besides the waiting part.  (I think I should make Tom Petty's song, The Waiting, my new kitchen theme song.)  I must admit, my first time at smoking was mostly success... I say mostly because I smoked the ribs, which were melt in your mouth good.  They could have given ANY bbq joint a run for their money!  The corn, it had a flavor like I have never had before, and I've eaten a lot of corn.  I mean come on, I'm from Nebraska.  Corn on the cob is the only way I'll eat it....so I know corn.  This was smokey, yet there was a hint of sweet there, but not sweet like normal sweet corn, a different sweetness I can't really describe.  I'm assuming it's coming from a mixture of the hickory chips and the beer I used.  But the one thing that did not turn out well at all were the potatoes.  The recipe I was following said to smoke them for 45 minutes..but the smoker was only set at 225 degrees....and there was no parboiling.  I really didn't think they would come out, but I had to try.  So, I just finished them off by roasting them in the oven.  I'm not going to blog about the failed potatoes...for now...you know I'll have to try it again!  And I'm not going to blog about the corn because...well...it was simple and I followed the recipe to the T.

 

What we need to talk about are the ribs!!!!

Let me just stop right there, I need to tell you something...the smell...omg the smell wafting around the backyard was AMAZING!  And the smoker worked brilliantly!  I would highly recommend this to anyone thinking of purchasing it.**

Like I said in the opening part of my blog, the ribs turned out to be amazingly good.  So good that Chris and I started eating, raved about how wonderful they were, did a few... Oohhhh....this is GOOD's....and then never spoke again until we were finished!  Finger-lickin', melt in your mouth, perfectly cooked SMOKED ribs.  We could have gone to no restaurant that I know of, and gotten such great ribs for the price I spend just buying the ingredients.  Now, I know so many of my readers don't have smokers, so I'm going to direct you to my first post on ribs.  These ribs were done in the oven and then finished on the grill, these ribs could be done the exact same way, just use this spice rub instead of the one in the recipe.  If you are interested the recipe is here.


Anyway, I had such a fun time doing this.  Even if my potatoes did not turn out as planned, I believe this is one of the best meals I've made in a long time.  It was perfect!

Smoked Pork Back Ribs
Adapted from dadgumthatsgood.com
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/4 Tablespoon chili powder (I used adobo chili powder)
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2lbs pork back ribs

Additional items needed for smoking:
Hickory chips
2 bottles blue moon beer

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together except the ribs.  Rub the mixture on both sides of the ribs.  Allow to rest in refrigerator for at least 2 hours but can be done over night. (I let mine sit for 6 hours).

Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees. (It took mine about 30 minutes to reach that temperature.)  While smoker is preheating, take ribs out and let sit at room temperature.  Smoke the ribs for 3 hours.  Remove from smoker and wrap in aluminum foil.  Place back in the smoker and continue to cook for another 1 1/2-2 hours.  Serve and enjoy!!!

 

**Although I won this electric smoker in a giveaway, I was not compensated for my review.  The thoughts and opinions are my own**

8 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Your pork spareribs look fingerlicking!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, you temptress!!! It is absolute torture to look at these and to hear you wax rhapsodic about them, and all before having breakfast!!! I was hoping it would all turn out beautifully for you ... :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Woo hoo!! You sure mastered the smoker already. These ribs are making me drool and it's not even lunch yet. They look SOOO good!

StephenC said...

You're a champ. And I like how you got that tiny little bicycle in the smoker with the corn.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

now your just teasing us with those perfect ribs!! They do look incredible, and telling us how delicious they were, is just cruel...sigh...only kidding....I am so glad to hear your smoker produced such great results, I am sure by this time next year you will be amazing us on a regular basis with your smoked creations!

Cheeseboy said...

I love my babyback, babyback, babyback....

Cranberry Morning said...

I can just imagine how wonderful it was to have the aroma of the smoker going on a nice fall day!

Did I get the homemade BBQ sauce recipe from you? Can't remember for sure, but whoever it was, I want them to know that stuff is wonderful and has none of the usual poisons the store BBQ sauce often has. Loved it!

Chris said...

Awesome! I'm so glad your ribs turned out great. The bad news is that within 6 months of learning the ins and outs of your smoker (they all have their own quirks), you will NEVER be able to enjoy BBQ at a restaurant ever again.

Not surprised the taters didn't turn out at that temp either, your intuition was right.