Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Terrific Man Tacos - Chorizo Style

 
So, I'm taking a few days off to spend some time with my family!! (YAY!!!) I'm SO excited!!  Unfortunately, for you though, it means I will be MIA until at least Wednesday.  Fortunately, for you though, I am leaving you with one of the best meals we've had in a while.

Some of you might remember last year when Chris and I went to Oklahoma and I learned how to make Terrific Man Tacos.  Basically, I learned how to make grilled tacos!!  For some reason, since that time, I have not made them again.  Silly, I know.  So, when my friend from work, Ruben, brought me some of the most amazing chorizo I have ever had, I knew I needed to revisit the terrific man taco idea.

Let me give you a bit of background on the chorizo.  This chorizo is extra special because my friend Ruben grew up eating it.  To me, that means more than the fact that it was pretty kick ass.  It's something from a friends past that they enjoyed and that means a lot to me.  His mother used to either cook it by itself with some onions, or she would cook it and then mix it with potatoes.  Either way would be wonderful, I'm sure, but today, we are focusing on making them into tasty grilled tacos!  This chorizo is actually made at Leo's Grocery store in Superior, AZ.  People drive from everywhere to buy it so they have started packaging it in 1lbs. packages and freezing it.  And this, my friends, is how Ruben gifted me this wonderful pound package that turned into one of the most delicious meals we've had in a while!!  (Thank you Rube!!!)

Besides how wonderful tasting this chorizo was, I LOVED the way that it looked.  You could actually see the peppers and spices speckled through it.  It was gorgeous!!  Now, most of you cannot get your hands on this fantastic protein, but that's ok, you can easily substitute regular chorizo.  It's not going to be AS fabulous, but I promise, you will not be disappointed!

Terrific Man Tacos - Chorizo Style
Adapted from Eddie Canterbury
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 lbs chorizo
1/2 can of refried beans (16oz can)
1 avocado, sliced
crumbled queso fresco cheese (as much as you want)
shredded Mexican cheese mix
8-10 white corn tortillas (8-10")
olive oil
For the Mango Salsa -
1 mango, cut into chunks
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 Tablespoon finely diced onion or shallots
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
garlic salt, to taste
lime juice, to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together for the salsa.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

In a skillet over medium heat, add the chorizo.   Cook for 5-8 minutes or until chorizo is cooked through.  Remove from heat and drain if desired.

Preheat grill to 325 degrees.  Brush each tortilla with oil on both sides.  Spread a layer of refried beans on the tortilla and top with avocado slices on one half of the tortilla.  Add the chorizo and queso fresco on the same side.  Now cover entire tortilla with shredded cheese.  Do not fold at this time, leave them flat.

Place the tortillas directly on the grill grate and let cook 2-3 minutes. When the tortilla becomes flexible, carefully fold up the cheese side only to create a taco (I used tongs and a spatula).  Continue to cook until both sides of the taco or golden brown.  Carefully remove from grill.  Serve with mango salsa and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Spicy Thai Pork Chops with Coconut Rice

18 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

The Silver Fox would love this. Heck, I would love this. I've bookmarked this recipe and plan to try it when we return from our trip. i hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Candace said...

oh-my-gosh! Pizza for half the weekend....these tacos for the other half. Why haven't I found you sooner? Nevermind, you are here to stay now and that's what matters. Have a wonderful trip and I will be looking forward to your return. I am off to gaze upon your recipe from one year ago. I have a lot of catching up to do! :)

StephenC said...

Now that I've found the Spanish/Mexican market I used to shop it back when we were in DC before, I at least know where I can get some decent chorizo. I will recreate this on my stove top.

Cranberry Morning said...

I know, I've led a life of deprivation, ;-) but have never eaten chorizo. I can see this needs to be remedied. And the recipe sounds delicious - especially when grilled!!

Have a great time with your family, Jenn!

Unknown said...

Did I hear my name? Oh wait, you were referring to the name of the tacos. I see. Can't wait to try these! Thanks!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

The chorizo you got from Ruben looks about 1,000,000 times better than the stuff they sell around here. Lucky you!! Sounds like an awesome taco Jenn. I've got to make these man tacos sometime soon! Enjoy your family!

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Well, shoot, why wait for dinner? I'd happily eat a pair of those tacos for breakast right now! And there you go with the sauce again -- that mango salsa, mmm. But hold the queso fresco. I've never been a fan. Much prefer cheddar, jack and a good Swiss on my Mexican food. My mouth is watering!

Gary said...

This looks awesome! I don't like the chorizo at the store nearby, so I might use beef. Maybe chicken. Thanks for the recipe!

Katie said...

This looks superb! Have fun visiting your family!

Big Dude said...

Have a fun visit - chorizo tacos look super good.

Chris said...

I need to try to make my own chorizo again because this sounds fantastic. I usually just use Johnsonville brand but have made our own once and I wasn't thrilled with the recipe.

Pam said...

Oh, it sounds delicious! I love chorizo and have to try this. Have a fantastic visit with your family!

~~louise~~ said...

That's what I'm talking about!

Oh I'm so glad I popped in. I would never be disappointed chowing down on those!!! They look awesome, Jenn!

Thanks for sharing...

Angie's Recipes said...

Those man tacos look super! Love your mango salsa too.
Have some fun visiting your family!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Ok, the tacos I'm making tonight are going to pale in comparison to these bad boys. How do I get that chorizo airmailed to CT???

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhatsfordinner.com

Care's Kitchen said...

Um...these look AMAZING! I have been craving tacos for days now and this post is killing me!!!

Pam said...

Now those are terrific looking tacos! Glad you had a nice time with family. I can't believe a blogger would forget her camera - silly girl.

Mary said...

These look really really good, Jenn! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll look forward to more posts next week!