Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Maid-Rite Sandwiches

In 1926, Fred Angell, a respected butcher in Muscatine, Iowa, combined a special blend and grind of the finest Midwestern ground beef with a selected recipe of secret spices and created the one and only Maid-Rite sandwich.  As legend goes, Mr. Angell asked a delivery man, at his restaurant, to taste his newest sandwich creation. After a few bites, the taster exclaimed, “You know, Fred, this sandwich is just made right.” Thus their signature sandwiches name was born.  Mrs. Angell, who loved to dabble in marketing, decided that the sandwich indeed was made right. The Angells created a restaurant and decided to franchise it, one of the first restaurant franchises in the United States.*  (*information from the Maid-Rite Corporation website)

If you have never had a Maid-Rite sandwich, you are missing out!  They are a loose meat sandwich - like a sloppy joe without the sloppy - and traditionally have just mustard, pickles, and chopped onions.  I'm not a raw onion fan, so I always had them without, hence not adding them to this recipe either.  This recipe is not an exact replica... it's missing something I just can't place, but it's a good substitution and I am happy to share it with you, especially if you've never had one before...

Maid-Rite Sandwiches
(Sorry, I found this mock recipe a long time ago and cannot remember where I found it)
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
1/4 cup beer or water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
hamburger buns
sliced American cheese
sliced pickles
mustard
chopped onions (optional)

Directions:
In a large, deep skillet, cook the hamburger and break it up with a wooden spoon as much as possible.  Once cooked, add the next 7 ingredients and stir to combine.  Add a slice of cheese to a bottom bun.  Spoon the meat mixture on top, top with pickles, mustard, and onions (if using).  Place top bun on top and Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Moroccan Spiced Grilled Chicken

13 comments:

StephenC said...

Who came up with the name "sloppy Joe"? This looks really good, although I don't really want one at 7 am.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yum sounds tasty and like it'd be a family pleaser! I've never had a real Maid Rite but if they're as good as these look I'm sold! Wonder if the missing flavor is celery seed, its used a lot in midwestern cooking :)

Candace said...

I've not only never had one; but I've never heard of it either. It looks delicious and I love the history you've shared about it!

Pam said...

I've never heard of these sandwiches but I think they look and sound ultra tasty!

Pam said...

Here I live in the Midwest and have never heard of this. It sounds and looks really great and I'll have a go at it. Too funny with the way it was named. Gotta' love the Midwest!

Mary said...

Not to be a brat or anything, but is it possible that the onions add a flavor that is the missing ingredients? These look and sound great as they are, girl. My husband would probably love them, especially if they aren't as messy as a sloppy joe!

Yenta Mary said...

I absolutely love these old-timey recipes with their quaint stories; and yet, I have never heard of this particular sandwich!!! Thank you for sharing it ... it's good to have you back again ... :)

Chris said...

I've seen the Maid Rite sandwiches on several travel shows but have never had one here in the south. I was curious about the difference between Maid Rites and sloppy joes, I guess it's the tomato sauce.

pharmacy reviews said...

He did a great job with the sandwich. It is an excellent idea and process too. I haven't tasted but it is in my dish to eat list.

Heather said...

You have to boil the meat & make sure to steam the bun.

Anonymous said...

Growing up eating maid-rites you have to eat with cheesy fries and Root beer.

Anonymous said...

I have spent some time researching recipes for Maid Rites and have found that chicken broth and a tsp of vinegar add just the right touch.

Anonymous said...

I cook the meat in chicken broth. These are always on the menu when we do the family summer vacation at the Lake or Beach.