Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

BLT Scrambled Eggs

In case you ever need to know this - my all time favorite sandwich is a BLT.  I could eat a (ok, maybe two or three) BLT every single day and never get tired of them.  Seriously.  I've done it before......   but don't tell my mom :)

This is a simple idea...nothing special or life changing...but still worth putting out there for you all to enjoy.  I decided on this one night when I was thinking of how many BLT with fried egg sandwiches I've been seeing.  It got me thinking... and this was what sprung from those thoughts.

In all reality, this should really be called BBT scrambled eggs as I used basil instead of lettuce.  But I figured, I'd spend too much time explaining it, so I left it at BLT...  If you wanted to add spinach instead of basil, that would work really well too.

BLT Scrambled Eggs
Created by Jenn's Food Journey
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
6 slices of bacon, chopped
8 eggs
1-2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
6-8 large fresh basil leaves, chopped

Directions:
In a non-stick skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; about 5-10 minutes.  Remove with slotted spoon and allow to drain on a paper towel.  Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, garlic salt, pepper, and cayenne until light and foamy.  Put the skillet with the grease in it over medium high heat for 1 minute.  Pour the eggs straight into the middle of the pan, which will force the grease to the edges, where you want it.  Stir slowly with a rubber or silicone spatula.  As soon as curds (big soft lumps) of eggs begin to form, drop the heat down to low and shift from stirring to folding the curds over on themselves while gently shaking the pan with the other hand.  As soon as no more liquidous egg is running around the pan, add the tomatoes and bacon and fold into eggs.  Cook for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and fold in basil.  Serve warm and enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Spread

11 comments:

StephenC said...

I'm not quite ready to eat this. But the good news is it sounds lovely.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

That's a plate of happiness if I've ever seen one! Bacon and tomatoes are awesome in eggs. Love this delicious and easy meal Jenn!

Big Dude said...

Great idea Jenn and definitely my kind of breakfast - I like the basil for lettuce swap.

StephenC said...

I came back to look a second time to see what my reaction would be. Still very good. We have everything we need for this except some fresh tomato, which we will get at farmers market tomorrow morning. I'm thinking maybe Sunday lunch is the target.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

You definitely have a winner, Jenn! Think I'll make mine with spinach. And I'm with you - there is something so satisfying about a good BLT.

Bo said...

I love making simple scrambles...they are the perfect low carb meal.

Angie's Recipes said...

Love BLT, and the scramble looks delish!

Martha said...

Yum! I think I'm going to go make this for brunch today!

Mary said...

These eggs look delicious, Jenn. I make scrambled eggs with spinach all the time. I'm definitely going to add bacon next time. YUM!

Chris said...

Nice, Jenn!

Pam said...

Love this. I am such an egg lover and BLT's are my very favorite sandwich too.