Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Spread

I don't make a lot of sandwiches for dinner, but when I saw this recipe, I thought to myself, you need to change that little habit, Miss Jenn.  I mean what's wrong with a good sandwich for dinner every now and again?  They aren't just for lunches, you know :)  I guess with all the other wonderful recipes I want to try, I forget about the simplicity and deliciousness of a sandwich.  For me, what made this sandwich, was the roasted pepper and goat cheese spread.  It was wonderful!  I had some left over, so the next night I mixed it with a little sour cream and used it as a sauce with some grilled fish.  It was FABULOUS!!!  Anyway, the marinade for the chicken is scrumptious too.  You could easily cut out all the fixin's for this sandwich and just grill (or bake) the chicken.  Serve it with a nice salad and you have a wonderfully light summer meal!

Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Spread
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, Gillin' & Chillin' cookbook
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary
2 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper
4 ciabatta rolls
1/4 cup roasted red sweet peppers, reserving 1 teaspoon of liquid
4 oz. soft goat cheese
1 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary
lettuce
tomato, thinly sliced

Directions:
Place the chicken in a resealable bag set in a shallow dish.  For marinade, combine vinegar, oil, 1 Tbls rosemary, and garlic. Pour over chicken; seal bag.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, turning occasionally.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine roasted pepper, reserved liquid, goat cheese, and 1 tsp rosemary.  Pulse until smooth.  Store in refrigerator until ready to use.

Drain chicken, discarding marinade.  Preheat your grill to medium.  Place chicken on the grill rack and cover.  Grill for 9-11 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle (170 degrees F), turning once, half way through cooking.

To serve, (I toasted our ciabatta rolls on the grill) spread the goat cheese mixture on both sides of the roll, top with chicken, lettuce, and tomato.  Enjoy!

 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Jenn, you always make me so hungry in the mornings that I spend my entire morning pining for lunch time! :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the idea of the goat cheese on this. Sounds wonderful! :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sweet lord, goat cheese on a sandwich??? Sign me up!! I too seem to discount sandwiches for dinner - lame cause the hubby loves them! And they are easy, too. Thanks for posting this one, I'll be making it soon! Mmmm...goat cheese... :)

StephenC said...

Nice work! And the rolls look great too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Jenn, I love the way this looks and sounds. You have some really great ideas. Thank you for sharing them with us. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

Roasted red pepper and goat cheese? I could eat that without anything but some crackers. Sounds like a great sandwich.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

marinating the chicken is a nice touch with this sandwich, but your right even a nice grilled chicken breast would be perfect for this sandwich, your red pepper goat cheese spread sounds delicious! Those flavors go so well with chicken, and I'm sure made a killer sauce for your fish too!