Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Adobo Chicken

If you are looking for something to spice up your week, look no further...this is the dish for you!  Wow... !!  Of course, you all know my love for chipotle and you know that I can handle the heat...but this was spicy, so beware!  You could easily cut back on the amount of chipotles you use, but I'm a risk taker...I love living life on the edge!!

I loved this dish, Chris loved this dish...so it was a huge hit in our house.  The sauce had a deep, complex taste to it, as if it had cooked for a long time.  The bold flavors of the chipotle and espresso powder help bring out that complexity.  It was spicy, it was bold, it was amazingly good!

Adobo Chicken
Adapted from Cook's Country
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
3 Tablespoons minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce (about 3-4 chipotles)
1 Tablespoon adobo sauce
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee
salt and pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons molasses

Directions:
Process tomatoes in food processor until smooth; set aside.  Combine chipotle, garlic, oregano, espresso powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.  Reserve 1 tablespoon of the mixture.  Pat chicken dry with paper towels and coat all over with the rest of the chipotle mixture.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.  Cook chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.  Transfer to a plate.  Heat remaining oil in now-empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering.  Add onion and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes.  Stir in processed tomatoes, reserved chipotle mixture, molasses and chicken, along with any accumulated juices.  Simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve over rice if desired.  Enjoy!


11 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

What an unusual recipe! (at least in my Scandinavian world) I bet my husband would love the heat of this dish. It seems that no matter what I make, he drags out the hot sauce. :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Ok this sounds delicious! Molasses?? Coffee? Chipolte? Its gotta be the most interesting and flavor packed bite of chicken ever! Sounds delicious Jenn!! And so very different than the adobo that I made last week! YUMMMMMY!

StephenC said...

Gosh, how many people actually have espresso powder in the pantry? We do! Nice recipe. We haven't had chicken in a couple of weeks. I think it's a spillover from being so bored with turkey by the time we ate it all.

Pam said...

I am loving this one... it looks and sounds so flavorful.

Cheeseboy said...

Sounds delightful.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Now that is spicy :-). It sounds packed with flavor. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Ok so chipotle is spicy? Funny thing is this weekend i picked some up in adobe sauce...thinking I would check you site for a recipe! Great timing.

Debbie said...

I love spicy foods and this sounds just over the top good!!!

Chris said...

Do you use the whole chipotles? If I'm using that many, I slice them open, lay them flat and deseed them. It takes the heat down to almost mild.

Bob L. said...

I made this last night, and it was a hit. I liked the unique layers of flavor from the espresso and adobo. I served it over brown rice - simple and delicious.

Unknown said...

Bob L.... thank you for letting me know what you thought of this dish. It quickly became one of our favorites!