Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Sister

"Sisters annoy, interfere, criticize.  Indulge in monumental sulks, in huffs, in snide remarks.  Borrow.  Break.  Monopolize the bathroom.  Are always underfoot.  But if catastrophe should strike, sisters are there.  Defending you against all comers." - Pam Brown

Today is my sister Tracy's 40th birthday!!
 
Happy Birthday Tracy!!!

My sister and I are 3 years apart (Crap, I just let the cat out of the bag there didn't I??). 

 
Though there have been many times in my life where I have wished I was an only child (as I know she did too), I can truly say that I'm glad I am not.  I have great memories of my childhood with my sister.  From "Ms. America" (she knows what that means) to practicing the moonwalk in our basement to the gum tree to summer nights playing ghost in the grave yard.  When we were young, we had a ton of fun together.  We played numerous hours in the "woods" behind our house.  I would sneak into her room late at night so we could giggle and tell each other stories.  We played with barbies together, we played board games together.  We laughed, we fought, we hated each other, we loved each other, we listened to ABBA on her 8-track player, we played Star Wars with my cousin, we climbed trees, we told each other secrets.  Life would have been oh, so boring without her!
My sister and I may not see eye to eye all the time, but as the years have gone by I realized we are not as opposite is I would care to think.  I mean our taste in clothes, shoes, purses, etc. are the complete polar opposites, but we both have a love for reading that has brought us together on many occasions.  We enjoy the same movies (for the most part),  we both think she's the funnies person we know....lol....I guess what I am trying to say is that the older I get, the more I love and appreciate my big sis!!
  
Tracy and I have been through a lot together and although we are not geographically near each other, I believe this is the closest we've been since we were little girls.  I hope she knows that no matter how often we talk, no matter how little we see each other, no matter how many miles separate us...I will always be there for her and will love her more then she will ever realize.


Happy birthday, Tracy!  May this day be the start to another wonderful year and may you find joy and happiness in all that you do.  I can't wait to see you and give you a real birthday hug!!!  Love you always big sis!!


12 comments:

Big Dude said...

Great post

Mom said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sister! Why, oh why, couldn't you both be so nice while you were growing up? No, not only did you not always get along, but also you didn't know how to cook while you lived at home!! I'm being short changed in my old age!! LOL. Love you both so very much.

Tracy said...

Thank you for the wonderful birthday wishes! You are truly a blessing in my life. I love you very much!!

Anonymous said...

Such a terrific tribute!

Yenta Mary said...

This is such a sweet post! Happy Birthday, Tracy!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

That was a great post! Sisters are wonderful :) You both are so so beautiful, too! Happy birthday Tracy!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm sending birthday wishes her way. I hope she has a very special day. Blessings...Mary

StephenC said...

I love it that you are so open about your feelings for family. I don't have any family anymore. So I just enjoy Peter's family, who long ago adopted me as a "member". And Happy Birthday, sis.

Cranberry Morning said...

What a sweet post! Isn't it interesting that after all these years, we learn to appreciate our sisters, no matter how much trouble they got us into when we were younger. lol

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

My only sister was nine years older, and she was not the maternal type when I was little, so we weren't all that close until we were both adults. Then we had a wonderful, very special bond. I miss her very much (she died of breast cancer). Sounds like the two of you have this whole sister thing down pat! All the best to both of you!

Unknown said...

This made me cry. I have two - and those picts when you guys were little... SOOOOO could have been in our family album! Love this post :)

Happy Birthday to your sister!

Chris said...

As good as this post is (and so close to home with my siblings), I am rolling on the floor at Mom's comment. It totally rocks this whole post:)