Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Butterhorns

These little tasty bites are my mom's favorite Christmas goody.  Let me tell you, though, I have to give her huge... er....I mean.. HUGE props for going through the process of making these every year.  This is the first year I actually made these...and my mom had said a few times: "Good luck" ... Hhhmmmmm...good luck huh?  How hard can they be?  Geez, it's like crescent rolls with strawberry preserves and walnuts inside!  And really, these were not the hardest thing I've made lately, it was just a bit time consuming and, well...seriously frustrating more than anything else.  You spend the time rolling out the dough, cutting the dough, filling the dough, rolling the dough...only to see the filling ooze out of the dough as it bakes!  So if you can get past that part, I highly recommend trying these out.  They are like little strawberry hand pies.

One bit of a suggestion, if you have a Silpat - USE IT.  The filling does not stick to it at all.  My mom also suggests quick release foil.  I actually used my Silpat on one batch and aluminum foil sprayed with non-stick spray on another, just to see how it worked and they both worked very well, but the Silpat is my recommendation - simple clean up if you want to do another batch on it, unlike the aluminum foil.  If you put these straight on the cookie sheet, you will not only have a mess, but you will have a hard time getting them up off!

Butterhorns
Recipe courtesy my Mom, Sharon
Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, sliced
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1/4 - 1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl, cut butter into the flour with a pastry blender.  Add the egg yolk and sour cream and mix well.  Cover and chill for a few hours.  (My mom divides the dough into 5 pieces, flattens them, than covers them in plastic.  You can than take out and roll out one at a time.)

When dough is chilled, roll out, using cinnamon and sugar mixture in place of flour. (I forgot to measure how much sugar and cinnamon I used, but it was about 1/2 cup sugar and 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon...mixed that together and then sprinkled it down on the counter and on the dough, instead of using flour so that it will not stick.)  Cut into pie wedges (you should get 12 wedges with each round.)

Mix together the preserves and the walnuts.  Place a small amount on each wedge. Roll from widest side, like a crescent roll.  Place on cookie sheet with Silpat or quick release Reynolds aluminum foil.  Bake about 20 minutes or until just golden brown.  Allow to cool.  Store in air tight container or freeze.  Enjoy!

11 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Those are GORGEOUS!!! And truly, almost identical to my blueberry ones, with all those luscious dairy products ... :) I will absolutely have to try strawberry jam the next time I make these!

SnoWhite said...

these are so cute -- and I wish I could enjoy one right now.

Do you think that I can omit the nuts?

Pam said...

I wish I had some of these with my coffee this morning - yum!

StephenC said...

Do you suppose a person could get refrigerated crescent rolls, bake them, and then fill them? Suddenly I'm thinking that might be what I want to do with mincemeat once I get my hands on some.

Unknown said...

Sno - Yes, you could easily leave out the nuts. Half of mine ended up without them anyway.

Stephen - Yes, refrigerated crescents would work just fine too. You could always sprinkle both sides with cinnamon and sugar, spread the preserves on it and roll them up. Should work just fine.

Unknown said...

Yum! These look like a great addition to my Christmas brunch! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

If appearances count you get an A+ despite the work it took to get them there. These do sound delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

These look delicious. Time consuming but I'm sure it's worth it. :)

Diana's Cocina said...

This looks so delicious! What a perfect treat!

Chris said...

Is it totally twisted that since I don't care for walnuts, I thought I'd substitute some pulled pork and since I was already using pulled pork I should use bbq sauce mixed with preserves?

Unknown said...

LOL - Chris... you could just leave the preserves out at that point...maybe add some cherry wood chips to the mix instead :)