Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken over Fettuccine

 
First... I should have used a more tubular pasta...the Fettuccine was just too much for the fork.  Second... I doubled the sauce thinking that we needed more, that there would not be enough of the sauce to "cover" the noodles, but I was wrong (the recipe I've written here has NOT been doubled).  A little of the sauce goes a long way, this is definitely not red sauce :)

With that said...this was pretty good.  Really, it's just a teriyaki chicken over pasta instead of rice.  I used basically the same recipe as with the Teriyaki Hoisin sauce, but left the hoisin out, of course.  I think it would have been even better had I kept the hoisin in it.  This sauce was much sweeter then the hoisin sauce.  Oh, well...you live and you learn, right?

Would I make it again?  Yes, but this time I'd leave it as a stir fry and serve it over rice.

Teriyaki Chicken over Fettuccine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon grown ginger
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces or strips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 - 3/4 lbs fettuccine pasta (I would use penne next time)
handful of fresh chopped parsley

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Set aside.

In a bowl, mix together the first 8 ingredients until well combined.  Set aside.

In a large deep skillet or wok, heat 1 tsp vegetable oil over medium high heat.  When the skillet is hot, add the chicken and quickly stir fry for 4 minutes.  Add the red and yellow pepper and cook another 2 minutes.  Add the sauce to the pan and bring to a boil.  As soon as the sauce thickens, remove from heat, add the parsley and stir to combine.  If sauce is too thick, add the reserved pasta water a little at a time.  Spoon over pasta and serve immediately.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Sriracha Chicken Strips

16 comments:

JR/Mike said...

The sauce sounds pretty good and I'm always looking for something new. I'll have to give this a go for my next stir fry.

Unknown said...

i love teriyake sauce, so this is a must for... i'm like you though I do love those big fat noodles and would use them everytime over rice or tubes... but we're our own worse enemy right? he he

Big Dude said...

I like it will I here of the good and I wish I'd done it different - learn from both. It still looks delicious.

Yenta Mary said...

It looks fabulous, despite your commentary! And I love that you take us all on the ride with tips and pointers; not every recipe is perfect on the first try, and it's encouraging when we all share those stories. I feel like we're sitting having a cup of coffee while we talk about dinner ... :)

StephenC said...

Looks nice. It's obvious your readers appreciate your candor as you explain what has happened during the process.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love how the sauce really coats the turkey and noodles here. But yeah, I can see how rice would be tastier. Or lo mein noodles. YUM! You're making me want stir fry Jenn :)

Pam said...

Yeah, you just never know how it will turn out until you try it. Thanks for telling it like it is. It sounds and looks really good to me!!!

Anna's kitchen table said...

It looks yummy, but I'd have mine over rice too
:-D

Unknown said...

This looks super flavorful and comforting! I love the flavors with the pasta!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Every so often you are going to end up with a dish you'd make differently. This sounds delicious to me. I love teriyaki and variations of the basic sauce. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Cheeseboy said...

This looks really good. "tubular" is a great word to describe pasta and waves.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Yum, yum, yum. As usual. I adore the flavors you're working with here. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

oh yummy, the sauce is really pretty! I think rice works better too - soak it all up nicely.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Looks yummy to me! I'd have doubled the sauce too, I can drink that stuff!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Rivki Locker said...

This looks perfect to me, and I think the fettuccine is SO much prettier than a tubed pasta would be. Looks like a winner in my book!

Chris said...

ooooh I bet this would be good over those Asian cellophane noodles!