Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Teriyaki Hoisin Sauce

Instead of making this post about my beloved Tilapia.. today, it's just going to be about the sauce.  This sauce is so versatile and delicious that it would work on chicken, pork, or fish.  Oh, you could even toss it with some shrimp and grill or saute it... now that would be really good!  I'm thinking of actually marinating chicken and then grilling it....but that's for another day.

This sauce was probably one of the best teriyaki sauces I have had....at least out of all the ones I have attempted to make...and that list is surprisingly long.  It had the perfect blend of salty sweetness.  Definitely one I would make again and again!

Teriyaki Hoisin Sauce
Adapted from Rose Reisman's Art of Living Well
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1/8 teaspoons ground ginger

Directions:
In a sauce pan, mix all ingredients together until well blended.  Bring everything to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer just until the sauce thickens.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Spoon over fish or chicken while baking or use as marinade or saute shrimp in it or stir fry up some chicken and veggies and pour over rice....the possibilities are endless.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Parmesan Crusted Chicken

18 comments:

Big Dude said...

Sounds very good Jenn and I look forward to trying it.

Debbie said...

Yum...Looks delicious Jenn and I love that it is so versatile!

StephenC said...

Sounds great. It makes me aware of how shy our pantry is of some staple ingredients.

Unknown said...

I love preparing my fish this way, beautiful! Might make a version on this (or this) on Friday for a group! :)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Oh yum! Teriyaki is one of the best sauces ever!! I love making & experimenting with them - this one is bookmarked. Next time I'm at the Asian market I'm getting GOOD hoisin, the last one I got was less than awesome LOL :)

Pam said...

Your blog should be called "Queen of Sauces". You are a talented sauce maker - this one sounds tasty!

Desi said...

Oh Jen, I love that we both are obsessed with sauces! And I love me some teriyaki... can't wait to try this :)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Everytime I go to Whole Foods, which is too often for the size of my wallet, I can't help but grab up some newfangled Asian condiment. I am obsessed. Thanks for giving me something delicious to make with my excess of Hoisin!!

Pam said...

Your tilapia looks great! We love it and your sauce for it sounds great with all the spices. I have to try that Camembert Pasta below. Yum!!!

We Are Not Martha said...

I love hoisin so much and this sauce looks amazing over the fish! :)

Sues

Unknown said...

Love hoisin sauce. I always have a jar ready in the fridge when I need it. I use it a lot for stir fries and ribs expecially. Yum.
I'll try it with fish next time.

Karen said...

I could have used this the other night for some meat. My bottled teriyaki sauce was definitely not cutting it.
Sounds great and I'm sure it was good on the fish!

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

You are the sauce queen! I have never gone wrong following one of your sauce recipes.

Cranberry Morning said...

I cannot eat this stuff, sorry to say, but I used to love hoisin sauce. This recipe sounds wonderful!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I was at the fish counter today and saw tilapia and thought of you! :) Love hoisin sauce. This looks great.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really is a lovely sauce. I can imagine how good this must taste on chicken or fish. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

Sounds like a winner to me. I bet it would also be great as a glaze on chicken, pineapple, and pepper kabobs.

Jenise Baca said...

This is the best teriyaki sauce I have ever made. So many sauces leave out the hoisin sauce, but it's truly the difference maker. Thank you for posting!