Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Guest Blogger: Paprika Shrimp

I will tell you a little secret:  I love having guest bloggers because I get to read their posts before anyone else!!  That may sound silly to you, but there is just something about being the first person to read someones post.  It's like you are in on a little secret that no one else knows about........at least for that brief moment.  It's kind of cool.

ANYWAY - enough about me, let's talk about today's guest blogger - Katrina of Betty's Eats.  Katrina's blog is filled with delicious healthy/healthier recipes, fitness reviews, and she even just recently completed a recipe challenge where she actually cooked her way through those cookbooks/magazines that fills most of our bookshelves.  I love her stories of her family, I love her writing style, I love the recipes :)  So make sure to stop by Betty's Eats and say hello....after you are done here, of course!!

And, of course, don't forget about my Fire Day Friday post over at Our Krazy Kitchen...it's one you'll want to check out:  Grilled Garlic and Parsley Chicken

Hey there Jenn's people.  I'm Katrina (Betty Ray in my teeny corner of the blogosphere) of Betty's Eats where I document my journey into attempting to find the balance between tasty and healthy (somewhat) food and a happy and healthy lifestyle and family.

I am the little girl growing up who would eat nothing but bologna, bread and black olives.  Dessert came after every meal.  As I got older, the pickiness never subsided and dessert was still mandatory and usually came courtesy of Entenmanns.  Dinner was meat, potatoes, pastas.  After two kids and hitting the ripe old age of 30 (which was a while ago), that diet wasn't really working anymore.  Exercise was no longer an option but a requirement.  All those desserts didn't just magically burn themselves off.

Now at 37, I have a new husband, a new home, a new career and a new found appreciation for a variety of yummy eats.  My husband lived a much less sheltered life than I did and opened up a new world to me.  when it comes to food, well he will eat just about anything and has a taste of ethnic foods that a few years ago would've sent me running for the door.  Some still do.  In my eagerness to enjoy some of the finer things in life with him, I began experimenting.  Hey, I like lots of new stuff!  Healthy can be delicious?  Wow.  Now it's time to get the kids up to speed.  I am slowly introducing them to new flavors, textures, and cuisines.

This recipe is a less scary version of a little Euro/Asian fusion and the turnips add a healthy dose of fiber, potassium, calcium and vitamin C.  Paired with kid friendly brown rice noodles, they will dive right in.  Even if they push away the shrimp, they will get a taste for the new spices on the noodles (and you can always say the turnips are potatoes).  Baby steps we say, baby steps.

Hope you enjoy this Paprika Shrimp.  Modified from a recipe found in Power Foods, a cookbook that makes all those scary healthy things appetizing.

2 tbsp safflower oil
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp paprika
3 tbsp chopped walnuts
1 lb large shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 peeled turnip, cubed
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp mirin
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper, to taste
One shot Sriracha (optional)
Red pepper flake, to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add ginger and paprika.  Cook, constantly stirring, about 30 seconds.  Add walnuts and saute about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add turnip and cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add shrimp.  Cook until pink and opaque throughout.  Add vinegar, mirin, sriracha, and salt & pepper to your taste.  Cook until heated through.

Serve with noodles or rice and top with parsley.  Eat while hot.

Printable Recipe

Note:  This dish is extra fabulous the next day so be sure to make extra.  Your co-workers will love your use of the office microwave to heat up your shrimp (so worth the dirty looks)! :)


One Year Ago:  Pasta with Zucchini, Tuna and Almonds

17 comments:

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Yay! Thanks Jenn - for the opportunity to guest on your blog and your super kind words. Have an awesome weekend. :)

StephenC said...

Wow, shrimp and turnip. Brave. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! YES..healthy can be delicious for sure! This recipe is great!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

These shrimp look DELICIOUS! I love the spices in them too. YUM!! Betty Ray, I love your blog - congrats on the guest post here! its great that your hubby has helped push you out of your food comfort zone & try new things. My spouse has to do that for me often, too :) Its amazing how many delicious things are out there that I used to be too scared to try. Awesome guest post!

Angie's Recipes said...

The shrimps look so delicious flavoured with paprika. Thanks, Katrina and Jenn.
Angie

Pam said...

Yum...what a fantastic meal!

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you, lovely recipe.

Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ said...

Katrina I am so proud of you! What a nice guest post! I love the dish, with all it's wonderful flavors. Don't you just love sneaking those vegetables in there?

P.S. I was always a picky eater when I was a kid, but it was the common things I didn't like...like hot dogs, ham, shrimp(don't worry I just use scallops instead).

Jenn, I'm headed over to OKK.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

Great post, Katrina and Jenn! This shrimp looks magnificently delicious... Love the recipe. Thanks for sharing, girls!

Umm Mymoonah said...

Wow! Good to know more about Katrina, the recipe is really yummy.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Another great guest post!!! Can't wait to try those shrimp.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhatsfordinner.com

Pam said...

Love this dish! Great guest post also!

Martha said...

Great guest post and excellent recipe! I'll be putting this one on the menu plan soon. My family loves shrimp and always looking for new recipes :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great post. I have to pop over to your blog. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

What a yummy post. I adore paprika, and with the shrimps... wonderful. I used to hate olives growing up, but now I absolutely love them.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Thanks again Jenn and all the readers. It was nice to guest over here and meet so many new people. :)

Roxan said...

This shrimp looks wonderful. Great job w the guest post!