Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dragon Chicken

The basic idea for this recipe came from Michael over at Me, My Food and I.  He posted Nigella Lawson's recipe for Dragon Chicken.  As I read through the ingredients I thought to myself, how can I make this, and yet make it more my own??  Don't get me wrong, I love Nigella (though I believe she's trying to lure my boyfriend away from me with her seductive ways, but that's another story for later..), but I wanted to change it up just a little and see what I could come up with using more ingredients I usually have on hand.  This is what I came up with....

It's spicy...it's simple...it's out of this world good.

And don't you love the shape of the chicken?  Sort of like a dragon, huh?  Ok, I actually think that it looks more like a cat, but we can pretend, can't we?


At least I can :)


Dragon Chicken
Adapted from Michael of Me, My Food and I
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 Habanero, roughly chopped (please be careful..wear gloves when handling these peppers...or do what I did, I used a knife and a fork to cut it, my hands never touched it.)
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, skin removed and quartered
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
drop of sesame oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
Put all ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor and process until smooth.  Place chicken in a resealable bag and pour the marinade over it.  Place the bag in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for 8 hours or over night.

Preheat your grill to 400 degrees.  Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade.  Place the chicken on oiled grill grates and grill for 5-10 minutes on each side or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of about 160 degrees F.  Enjoy!


One Year Ago:  Saucy Sirloin Steaks

12 comments:

Big Dude said...

Looks delicious and I can believe it was plenty warm enough.

Unknown said...

mmmm... Dragon Cat... my favourite! xx

StephenC said...

Wow,habanero and jalpeno. You are one spicy chick. Great title!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Habanero??? Holy heat! I love this idea but fear the habanero, I won't lie :) For my wimpy tastebuds I think I'll give this a try but toned down slightly. I dig the ginger & vinegar in this one Jenn, it sounds good (and HOT!). Nice grill marks too :) You know how I love a good grill mark :)

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Oh wow, this sounds like pure spicy deliciousness. I will have to keep this on hand as we are eating more chicken these days. I love Nigella but never saw this recipe. Glad to have it now with your take on it!

Cranberry Morning said...

No kidding, it really IS the shape of a dragon! Love the title. And the way that piece of chicken looks is EXACTLY how I love chicken grilled. Gotta go brush the snow off the grill and get started!

Pam said...

My husband and I would both really love this chicken... spicy and delicious!

Wayne said...

Oooooo... My mouth is watering. I am definitely prepping this tonight and grilling it tomorrow. I've never used a habanero pepper before....

Yenta Mary said...

Love the name, love the flavors, love the look of it ... I'd invite myself over for leftovers, but I'd be surprised if there were any! And yeah, I'd worry about Nigella (much as I love her!): I saw her on "Good Morning America" with Charlie Gibson once, flirting with him as she made a dessert she called "Slutty Red Raspberries." Charlie flushed and giggled through the whole segment, and Nigella worked it!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Jenn... you do live life dangerously! I like your take on the recipe but I may need to tame the chilli a bit. After eating your dragon chicken I'd be breathing fire...
And, oh Nigella... I think I should just stop there. You know what I think of her... :) And I think Chris knows it too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

It looks delicious, Jenn. It is hot though. Habaneros shudders down my spine. Years ago I rubbed my eye after chopping and thought I was going to die. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

First of all, the Chris that Nigella is interested in is ME! Tell your Chris to back off, she's mine (ha ha).

I saved this one and WILL be grilling it up.