Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Braised Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce

Every now and then I like to really do something out of the "norm" for dinner.  I very much enjoy doing this on Saturday's.  I love Saturday's.  I mean I get the whole day to do whatever I want...even if it's absolutely nothing!  And the wonderful knowledge that you did not have to work that day AND that you do not have to work the next day....it's the only day of it's kind.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that on Saturday's, I love to make meals that take a little extra time.  This meal was perfect for just that!

This was absolutely delicious. Tender, flavorful...and did I mention delicious??  I know Chris had the unfortunate pleasure of having pieces that were a little more fattier then mine, but my ribs were tender and melt in your mouth fantastic!!  And the red wine sauce....ok, I'll be honest...I just spooned it on to my plate and mopped it up with warm bread.  I could have dinned on that alone, trust me!

Braised Beef Short Ribs in Red Wine Sauce
Adapted from Tastes of Italia Magazine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
2.5 lbs beef short ribs
1/2 sweet onion
2 stalks of celery
1 large carrot
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper

Directions:
In a Dutch oven, add the olive oil and butter over medium heat.  When butter as melted, add the short ribs and season with salt and pepper.  Brown the meat on all sides.  Remove meat and set aside.

In a food processor, add the onion, celery, and carrot.  Pulse until finely minced.  Add to the Dutch oven along with the tomato paste.  Cook about 8 minutes.

Add the wine and broth and scrap bits off the bottom of the pan.  Bring mixture to a boil, then return the ribs to the pot.  Add the bay leaf and cover.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3 hours or until meat is tender.  Remove bay leaf and set the beef on a platter.  Add cornstarch to the mixture and bring to a boil.  Once sauce has thickened a bit, return meat to the pot, and taste for seasoning.  Serve sauce over beef ribs and enjoy!

 

One Year Ago:  Basil Pesto

13 comments:

Big Dude said...

I cannot remember the last time I had short ribs, but after seeing yours, I may have to remedy that - they look moist and delicious.

StephenC said...

Give me those fatty pieces, Chris. Mmmm, slow cooked meat.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Your recipe is pretty much the same as mine for short ribs. So good, so tender and so much flavor!! Mmm mmm MMM! There's nothing like beef braised in red wine. Truly its one of the best flavors on Earth!

Yenta Mary said...

Those ribs look unbelieveably wonderfully fabulously amazing!!! I can practically shred them through the screen, they're so tender ... :)

Desi said...

I LOVE short ribs! And these remind me of the ones from Olive Garden that I love... braised in a Cabernet red wine. I tried to make them at home once but they didn't taste anything like the ones at Olive Garden :( I will have to try your recipe one of these days!

Cranberry Morning said...

Beeeeautiful! I will definitely be making this! Those red potatoes look pretty fantastic too. You can keep the bread, I'd want those yummy potatoes!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ooh, yummy, that looks so good!

Unknown said...

one of my faovrite meals, I love it. Any leftovers? send them this way.

Angie's Recipes said...

This makes me seriously hungry! I come over for the leftover meal! LOL

Unknown said...

Goodness Jenn! This dish looks utterly delicious. Tender meat and flavourful sauce... this is killing me. I really want some of that now. This piece of chocolate I'm currently eating is not doing it for me I'm afraid.

Mary Bergfeld said...

You are using my favorite cut of meat for braises. I just don't think there is anything that matches its flavor. Your stew looks gorgeous. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

I love cooking more time consuming meals on the weekend too...I think because I love to be in the kitchen! Your short ribs look perfect, melt in your mouth delicious!

Chris said...

The thing I like about braised ribs is how the rendered fat gives them a silky mouth feel.