Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Sweet & Spicy Chicken Stir Fry

I have to giggle as I post this...I have made more stir fry recipes since I started this blog then I have in the past two years!  I actually love stir fry recipes because of their ease and quickness.  They are a perfect meal to throw together after a long day at work.  I haven't made them up until now because I thought Chris would not eat them!  Long story short, when we first started dating, Chris told me he very much disliked Asian food.  I immediately threw all the stir fry and/or Asian style recipes to the back of the recipe file and basically forgot about them.  A few months back I decided that I was going to make at least a simple stir fry and Chris would just have to deal with it.  Lucky for me it was good, he loved it, now I can try as many as I want!!!

This is another one of my creations.  The original recipe was a bit too sweet, so I changed a few things around and it should be fine now.  Hope you enjoy it as much as Chris and I did!

Sweet & Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
Ingredients:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2-3 large mushrooms, sliced
1 small jalapeno pepper, cut into thin strips
1 orange bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 small zucchini squash, cut into strips
2 cloves of garlic, minced
For the Sauce:
2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce (recommended: Maggi)
1/2 Tablespoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
1 Tablespoon soy sauce

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients together.  Set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet or wok, over medium high heat.  Add the chicken and quickly stir fry for 3 minutes.  Turn heat down to medium and add the jalapeno and orange peppers.  Stir fry for 2 minutes.  Add the mushrooms and stir fry another 2 minutes.  Add the zucchini and continue stir frying for another 2 minutes.  Add the sauce mixture to the pan and bring the sauce to a boil.  Stir to combine.  Let simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the veggies are cooked to the desired doneness.  Serve over rice.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Stephen C said...

Good to see your new post. The pictures are particularly nice. I've mentioned before that we have plenty of places to get Eastern foods and from time to time I like to make a stir fry. I discovered an author of 3 books, 1 a memoir of studying Chinese cuisine in China for several years, the other 2 Hunan and Szechuan recipes. Name is: Fuchsia Dunlop (British). The memoire is captivating and I bought one of the cookbooks - full of esoteric ingredients.

Unknown said...

She has a website/blog that I checked out. Very interesting, thanks for pointing me in that direction!