Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

Balsamic Chicken Tenders with Caramelized Onion & Pepper

Before I get into the recipe, I must take a moment to give a little shout out to the love of my life.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!!  You have been my rock, my voice of reason, and my shoulder to cry on.  Without your love and support this blog would have never become what it is today.  Thank you and may this year be the best yet! 

Now on to the food!!!

Have you ever had something planned for dinner, yet by the time you actually get around to making it, you suddenly realize it's really not what you want?  This does not happen to me too often, but it happened the other night.  I just didn't want to make what I had planned on making, but I knew I needed to use certain ingredients or they would go bad.  So, this is the recipe that came from the funky mood I was in (and I don't mean the good bass guitar funk either!!).  Chris and I both enjoyed it, but as always, my worry is:  is it good enough to post and feel proud of?  I guess you, my loyal readers, will have to decide that for yourselves. 

Balsamic Chicken Tenders w/Caramelized Onion & Pepper
Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
Salt & Pepper
1 lbs. chicken tenders
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
Add chicken tenders to a Ziploc bag.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour balsamic vinegar and 1 Tbls olive oil over the chicken, seal the bag, and massage to cover chicken.  Let marinate for 30-40 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium low heat, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, peppers, and onion.  Slowly cook the vegetables until brown and caramelized, about 20-40 minutes, making sure to not let them burn.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Remove chicken from bag and place in prepared dish.  Discard marinade.  Sprinkle chicken with oregano, garlic salt, and pepper.  Bake chicken for 12 minutes.  Remove from oven and cover with peppers and onions.  Return dish to oven and bake another 5-8 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.  Enjoy!

(Nutritional Information:   172 calories, 7 g fat, 49 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I think the dish sounds delicious and looks wonderful! I have had the same feeling many times - planning something for dinner but then deciding on something else or changing it up a bit. Happens even more often when I bake!

Stephen C said...

Happy birthday, Chris. Take it from another individual obsessed with food, you are lucky to have a partner who revels in the gustatory pleasures.