Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Chicken Alambre

First, I have to say this.... My friend Ruben has spoiled my chorizo experience!!  Back in September you might remember my post for Terrific Man Tacos - Chorizo Style, where I told you about him bringing me the most amazing chorizo I have ever had - well - thanks to him, the standard chorizo I find at the grocery store has taken on this ... this... well, unsatisfying flavor.  It lacks the luster that the chorizo he brought me had.  So now, when I make meals that have chorizo in it - they are good, but I know they could be so much better!!  (Thanks a lot Rube!!! lol)

Take this meal for instance - it was good - but it could have been soooooooo much better!!  It might not look like much, but it's a simple little meal packed with a lot of flavor.  I saw this recipe in my Food and Wine Magazine and knew I had to make it.  I mean bacon AND chorizo??  Yea, how could you go wrong there???  The original recipe called for using chicken thighs and I think they would have worked better than the chicken breasts, but Chris is not a fan of dark meat, so I did my best.  If you don't have an aversion to dark meat, I highly recommend trying it with that.  Either way, it's a simple little dish that I think you will enjoy!

(P.S.. If you've been having problems commenting over the past few posts, I apologize - there seems to be a problem with blogger - I believe I have fixed the issue, but if you find you are still having problems, please email me and let me know!  Thanks!)

Chicken Alambre
Adapted from Food and Wine
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
6 strips of bacon, chopped
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
6 oz fresh chorizo, casings removed if necessary and meat crumbled
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips
4 oz queso fresco
Rice (cooked - Spanish or plain)
Flour Tortillas
Avocado, sliced
Salsa (optional)

Directions:
In a skillet, over medium heat, add the bacon.  Cook until crispy.  Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel liked plate.  Add the onion to the skillet and turn heat down to medium low.  Saute the onions until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add the chorizo  and the chicken and cook about 8 minutes.  Add the peppers and cook another 3 minutes or until the chicken and chorizo are cooked through.  Scatter the cheese over the top and stir until it starts to melt.  Remove from heat.

Place tortilla on a plate, top with rice and spoon on chicken mixture.  Top with avocado and salsa.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Two Years Ago:  Bacon-Parmesan Crusted Tilapia

10 comments:

StephenC said...

You're right, this does sound like the answer to a prayer.

Yenta Mary said...

Bacon ... chorizo ... chicken ... gorgeous, flavorful vegetables ... does a girl need anything else??? Oh, it looks so, so good!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Alambre? (all these exotic names, Jenn! I mean, really!) :-)I looked it up and it said something about wire - as in a skewer? Anyway, the whole thing looks amazing, Jenn - as usual! Looks like you're going to have people beating down your door at dinner time.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Oh my. I have to try this Jenn, have to! :-))

Angie's Recipes said...

A hearty and delicious chicken dish. I guess I have to live with the standard chorizo. ;-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

This is kinda like a chorizo bacon fajita! I love that!! When you come out here (notice I say WHEN, not IF :) ) you have GOT to bring me some of Ruben's chorizo! Or we can try to make our own. Or both!!! Either way this looks really good!

Pam said...

It looks and sounds tasty to me but I think you are right, thigh meat would be even better!

Mary said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I agree with you though, thighs might have been tastier. After a whole lot of years of white meat only, we have switched to dark at least 90% of the time. I still can't believe what a difference it makes. My kids will happily eat dark meat almost every time. White meat is completely hit or miss still.

Unknown said...

Yum looks great, also I have a question about your blogger issuer...we're you having and issue looking at the comments on your post...the actual page? I have some odd issue happening myself.

Chris said...

What a punk Reuben is, ha ha.

This sounds like a great one. What brand of chorizo are you using? There's one really popular brand that I don't care for at all. I use Johnsonville, it's pretty consistent although I'm sure handmade is better.