Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nutty Sweet Onion Grilled Chicken

I know that I normally am one to say that you don't always have to follow a recipe to a "T" - but sometimes, just sometimes, there are recipes that you probably should not mess with.  This was one of those times.  Mary at One Perfect Bite posted a recipe a while back for a peanut crusted chicken with a nutty sweet onion sauce that I knew I was going to have to try sooner or later.  Well, that time finally came, but when it did, I thought I would change things up just a tad bit.  The first thing was that I was going to grill the chicken instead of coating and baking it. That part went well.. YAY!  (although, you know you can't go wrong with a crunchy baked piece of chicken.)  The part that went way, way wrong was the sauce.  Yep, there, I said it - I screwed up a sauce!!!  (Please don't judge me, it could happen to anyone, even the self proclaimed sauce queen.)  The first issue was that I did not have Greek yogurt - but I thought, no problem, I'll use sour cream or mayo or a mixture of both. The second issue was that I thought I would change the quantities of each ingredient thinking my mixture would be better.  I was wrong.  Very, very wrong.  My sauce didn't turn out inedible, mind you, it just wasn't what I'm sure it was supposed to be.  I believe my final peanut butter to sweet onion dressing ratio was off and it just ended up tasting too peanut buttery (if there is such a thing).

I will not lead you down the same path I was led, though.  I will do Mary better justice than that.  The recipe for the sauce is her recipe.  I highly suggest if you try it.. stick to this one.  Don't think you can make it better.  lol  You just might be disappointed!!

Nutty Sweet Onion Grilled Chicken
Adapted from Mary at One Perfect Bite
- Serves 2 -
Printable Recipe 
Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the marinade -
1 Tablespoon creamy peanut butter
3 Tablespoons Sweet Vadalia Onion Dressing
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoons water
1/2 Tablespoon white wine (optional)
For the sauce -
1 1/2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
5 Tablespoons Vidalia onion salad dressing
1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup Greek-stye yogurt

Directions:
Mix together the ingredients for the marinade until well combined.  Pour marinade over chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

In a small bowl, mix together the peanut butter and dressing until smooth.  Stir in the soy sauce, parsley, and yogurt.  (per Mary, if the sauce is too thick, thin out with milk)  Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.

Preheat the grill to 375 degrees F.  Oil the grill grates.  Place the chicken over the fire and grill for 8-10 minutes per side or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees F.  Remove from grill and let rest for 3-5 minutes.  Serve with sauce.  Enjoy!

One Year Ago:  Italian Chicken Bundles
Two Years Ago:  Super Bowl Countdown Take One: Appetizers

6 comments:

Lucie said...

This look so good, I am always on the look out for ways to spruce up chicken, will try this out - thanks x

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love the flavor profile in this. When I find that onion dressing I'm making this! Sounds delightful and I'll follow the recipe, as hard as that is for me :)

Cranberry Morning said...

There's nothing like a good marinade to make chicken so much better! This looks fabulous - and love those stuffed peppers in the background too. I'll stick to the recipe, Jenn. Thanks for the advice. :-)

Mary said...

This sounds like it still turned out great. I hate when I think a new twist on a recipe will improve it and it doesn't work out at all. :(

Pam said...

I love that you admitted screwing up the sauce... I am still in shock however because you are the sauce queen!

Chris said...

This is a nutty recipe!

Don't feel bad, I screwed up a main dish about two weeks ago. I thawed out stew beef and it lost a lot of fluid. My gut said not to use it but I did anyway and even though I braised it, the meat turned out dry and grainy.